- chapter 5 -

| Elise |

It is almost ironic, really, how you can feel most alive when your heart skips a few beats.

Perhaps it had been the way he looked at her when she was speaking, or the way his eyes seemed to be able to see right through her; meeting Elliot had completely distracted her from her fears, her worries, lifting her ever so slightly out of the dark abyss her mental state had settled in. It was intoxicating.

Elise lifted her head off of the wheel where it had been placed on top of her hands for many minutes and looked out at the rain that pelted her windshield. Throughout their conversation it was as if he had been able to see all of the dark thoughts and emotions playing in her mind, and then had been able to completely and utterly connect to them - it was eery, yet it also acted as a silent reminder that she was not the only one who was struggling, others were as well - specifically Elliot - and she had never felt a stronger urge to help someone else.

For all one knows, this could be her way of coping. Helping others with their suffering, with their inner demons which restlessly stir in the depths of their minds.

However, who is to help her?

Who will be able to snip her away from the endless string of harmful thoughts that were strung through her brain like a cat's cradle? Was it even possible for anyone to save her from herself?

Deep down she knew the answer. It was plain. No confusing rainbow roads which could lead her in different, misleading directions. As outright ridiculous as it sounded, it was black and white, really.

It was a touch of Elliot, but mostly herself.