Chapter Nineteen: Tattoo Parlors and Nightmares

Start from the beginning

"What?" I ask gently.

Lucinda frowns and I have the urge to wipe the frown away. My mind feels muddled and there's something wrong going on, but I don't have any energy or reason to walk away. There is no reason to get away from this woman who's so dedicated to helping Harry and us all.

Lucinda glances down at the glass and I do the same. For the first time since I've met her, I see her arms covered in tattoos. They're all different but there's a series of vines winding around her arms with roses that are budded and bloomed. It's all done in color. It's all beautiful.

My gaze catches on a heart expertly coiled in a thorny vine. Some of the thorns have grown through the heart at the top of it. I gasp when I realize what they remind me of. Horns. The heart has horns.

"Niall, look up at me," Lucinda says and I do as she says. Her voice is a coo that I have to obey. So soft, so gentle, so teasing. "Tell me about what's happening lately. Harry shut me out today. I can't help if I'm not let in. Don't you think it's important to fill me in?" She asks, her eyes wide and pleading.

She wants to help. She has to help. I nod and give her a small smile. A smile!? Why am I smiling?!

I frown. Something is off.

"Niall, please pay attention. I just want to know what's going on. Niall, please? It's really important," she coos and leans towards me.

My breath catches in my throat. I glance down repeatedly at the red lips that are hovering only a mere inch away from my mouth. I just want to lean in and press my lips to hers. She's beautiful, helpful, and interested in me? This has to be the jackpot.

"Harry and Ashlyn broke up. I took Ashlyn to the doctor who then informed us that she is capable of having the operation done, but then Ashlyn denied it. She doesn't want to take the operation that will make her walk again. So I took her back but when we got there Harry wasn't around and so I came out and am trying to find him. And that's when I got here and-"

"Wait, slow down! I can't understand about half of what you're saying! God, can't you stop talking like some uneducated brat?! Speak clearer!" Lucinda shrieks at me, her eyes narrowing at me. I stare at her confused. Why is she so mean suddenly? That's not like her. Lucinda must notice my sudden shock because she smiles and says in a kinder tone, "So they broke up?" Her concern was back. I sighed in relief.

"Yeah and now Ashlyn is heartbroken and Harry is missing," I say.

"And Ashlyn refused to get an operation done that will make her walk again," Lucinda repeats what I've told her.

I nod. "Unfortunately, yes. I kept trying to convince her that-"

"Don't convince her."

"What?" Did I hear her right?

Lucinda leans forward and folds her hands on the glass. "Don't convince her. Look Niall, how do you expect her to ever heal if you're always doing things for her. She has to learn to be on her own. She can't have you to rely on everyday all day. It's stupid and inconvenient."

"But if I don't help out, then who will? She doesn't have that many resources of help out here."

"Then make her go home. She isn't much good right now anyways. She should be around people she knows."

"She knows us," I protest. Send Ashlyn home? Could I really consider sending her home in this state? How would I be able to take care of her? I wouldn't be. "I can't just send her back alone," I say.

Lucinda smiles so widely that I have to suddenly bite back my fear. My mind suddenly clicks on and I remember the anger I had for her. She suddenly reaches out, her hands grasping mine, and I gasp on contact.