Blood Born - Chapter 22

Start from the beginning

"That's terrible."

"It's life here. Do your job or die."

"Or become a kitchen girl," I grumbled.

"I'll visit tonight, Evelyn."

I nodded and hurried up the stairs as the instructors came out of the dining hall.

I closed the door behind me and looked for a lock.

No way to lock our doors? Of course not. Why would there be a way to lock the doors?

I hurried to the window and pushed it open. There was a sheer drop-off to the hard rocks below. No possible way anyone could escape through the windows.

"What have you learned?" a gruff voice above me asked.

"Draco!" I sighed with relief at the sound of him. "It's absolutely dreadful."

"I assumed it would be."

"It's much worse than we thought. They turned some assassins into their servants if they proved unable to carry out their duties. They abuse all here, even kill them," I said quietly.

"They kill assassins?" he asked.

"They're not quite assassins yet. They're still in training, but yet they kill them."

"You have to leave this place, Evelyn," Draco said. His hot breath rushed down to me, warming my face.

"I can't. Not yet. I have to save the girls here. It's no longer about keeping my family safe, I now have to save everyone and destroy the Guild once and for all."

"Evelyn, your mother trained with them for seventeen years and only managed to kill one brother. He was the weakest at that. How are you going to destroy the other two and their loyalists?"

"I don't know."

"Who are you talking to?"

I spun around to see Anastasia standing near the bookcase.

"Fuck."

"Who's out there? How can someone be there? It's so high up."

"Anastasia, I need you to meet someone."

"Are you sure?" Draco whispered.

A puff of smoke blew in through the window.

"It's kind of late to not introduce you now."

"Why is there smoke? What is going on?" her voice rose an octave as she panicked.

"First, calm down. You're going to draw attention to the room. I'm going to show you."

I crossed the room and took her hand, leading her to the window. I pushed them open more and sat on the windowsill, patting the seat next to me. She hesitantly sat down and looked outside.

"What are we looking at? Nobody is out there," she said.

"He's not down, he's up."

"Up?"

I nodded as she turned her head toward the roof. "Just don't scream."

Her mouth dropped open; her eyes grew as large as saucers. "What is that?"

"That is Draco. He's a dragon, and we're bound together."

"Does the Guild know about him?"

"They know of dragons, they don't know I'm bound to one."

"I don't think dragons are in the rules of conduct for assassins."

"I'm not really here to be an assassin," I said.