Reiwa 12 Documentary Part 2

This chapter is a documentary.

I've added something like Ordaika and Elchirgo's reaction in the last Chapter (34), if you're interested.

- Sōsaku-ka ZERO rei

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Changes in Japan After the Tragedies

—Significant changes took place in Japan after the two tragedies that occurred. One of the options considered was to abandon the long-held pacifism nurtured among the people.

"I was absolutely surprised, suddenly money and personnel poured in like hot water..." recounted Nakamura (pseudonym), who had been active as a Self-Defense Forces officer even before the transference. He speaks about the reassessment of defense strategy under the Takeda administration at that time.

"The Self-Defense Forces before the transference, to be honest, were viewed with considerable apprehension. The equipment was fine, but it felt like 'not weak but not strong,' and above all, there was a shortage of funds and personnel."

At the time of the transference, Japan's defense spending was around 1% of GDP. Considering that neighboring countries and Europe aimed for defense spending around 2% of GDP, it might have been understandably concerning.

"But after coming here through the transition and experiencing two wars, we came to understand the reality of war. Therefore, we were urgently forced to improve these issues within the Self-Defense Forces... and the funding for that was much larger than our expectations as officers."

According to the "Three Pillars of Defense" set forth by the Takeda administration at the end of 2015, the goal was to increase defense spending to 5% of GDP by 2020. It was a massive budget proposal that could have created five Self-Defense Forces at the scale of that time.

"From then on, it was incredibly busy. We reached out to various places, collaborated with the accounting department to decide where to allocate funds, went to factories across the country to explain the expansion plans, arranged for the establishment of new factories... especially as I was in a position within the Ministry of Defense to make those decisions, I was incredibly busy."

"First, the number of escort vessels, fighter jets, and tanks increased. Then, many new weapons were introduced, weapons were mass-produced, and the organization was changed. And in 2016, the conscription Self-Defense Force system was established... Naturally, the personnel increased, so we also developed a training program for conscripted Self-Defense Force members. There were hardly any days off... but strangely, I didn't feel unpleasant. Perhaps it was because it was the most enjoyable time as a military officer."

"However, we feel crisis. Even with this much expansion and arms buildup, there was concern about facing unbeatable opponents or perhaps becoming overwhelmed. But seeing the Self-Defense Forces become so much stronger in just five years, I remember feeling proud."

"But, if possible, I would have preferred to avoid war altogether. Because if there's a war, my subordinates will die, the conscripts will die, and I didn't want that."

However, his wish was in vain, as the new world turned its fangs towards Japan. Many people remember it as an endlessly unreasonable world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Intelligence Imperial

The following is a report compiled by the Allied Forces at the time, analyzing the tactics, weapons, or Japan itself. The main analysts were from the Strategic Intelligence Bureau of the Gra Valkas Empire, which distributed such analysis reports to frontline officers at the time. The results were also shared with the Mirishial and Emorish militaries in becoming a textbook for the war against Japan.