Chapter 26 - A Departing Bird Leaves No Trace

I apologize for the delay in updates, another week has passed. This time, the story involves a topic I'm not very comfortable with—diplomacy—so it took me sometime.

- Sōsaku-ka ZERO rei

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Runepolis, Holy Mirishial Empire

Government Center, Castle Albion

On this day, the capital of the Holy Mirishial Empire was covered by a gloomy overcast sky. It was a remnant of the snow clouds that fell yesterday, and the temperature was still low. Unfortunately, due to this weather, there were considerably fewer people outside compared to a sunny day. However, in the heart of the Imperial Capital, Castle Albion was well-equipped with air conditioning magic serving the role of heating. Therefore, government officials, even in this winter, were able to work indoors without coats.

Yet, even in this room, the office of Emperor Mirishial VIII remained as cold as ever. Despite the heating, the emperor's aura and the awkward atmosphere chilled the temperature of the room.

Mirishial VIII conducted his official duties without even glancing at the three male high-ranking officials seated on the sofa—Meteos, Walman, and Eleazer. He was waiting for them to initiate the conversation. However, as the conversation failed to progress, they hesitated to speak out of nervousness. Mirishial VIII sighed and reluctantly began the discussion.

"Tell me the details of the matter."

"Um..."

Mirishial VIII's words made the three of them flinch and break into a cold sweat. However, before entering this room, it had already been decided who would report the details to the emperor. Meteos, who drew the short straw, was assigned to explain.

Meteos cleared his throat and began speaking with relatively calm composure. "...About three days ago, intruders appeared at Area 48, our country's top-secret research facility. Initially, explosions occurred at various locations within the base, followed by acts of taking base personnel hostage."

"And then?"

The emperor stared intently, causing Meteos to shrink back. It was a rare sight for Meteos, who usually spoke without hesitation even to those of higher rank.

"Uhm... The intruders who took hostages turned out to be a decoy. Just as the situation seemed to be calming down, a fire alarm sounded, and upon investigation... the captured unmanned aircraft was found destroyed—"

"Rubbish!!"

The emperor's roar briefly echoed in the relatively small office. His intimidating force caused the three to freeze completely. Understandably so. Following the Air Force's previous blunder, this time intruders appeared at Area 48 and acted recklessly. Major incidents affecting the military's reputation occurred twice in succession. The emperor's anger was on the verge of reaching its peak.

"To allow intrusion into the most vital facility, Area 48, and then to have the captured unmanned aircraft destroyed... What a disgraceful failure! Wasn't the base security supposed to be flawless!?"

"I... I'm terribly sorry..."

However, the truth was that the base's security was complicated due to its difficult relationship with the Army and the extreme secrecy of Area 48, but they couldn't voice that. Even if they did, it would be perceived as excuses by Mirishial VIII, and that would be the end of it. So, they couldn't bring themselves to say it.

"That unmanned aircraft was a chance to identify the identity of the trespasser who violated our airspace! Its technology held immeasurable value! To have it destroyed so carelessly...!"