Chapter 10 - Battle of Valkyries Fortress

Sorry for the wait, here is the tenth chapter. This time it is longer.

- Sōsaku-ka ZERO rei

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the Valkyries region, there is a basin surrounded by majestic mountain slopes, and the Valkyries Star Fortress is built within that basin, constructed to be extremely robust.

Firstly, the surrounding mountains serve as natural walls, protecting the fortress stronghold, with the narrow corridors connecting them being wedged between the distinctive "summit angles" of the star-shaped fortress, forming kill zones. Living quarters for troops, ammunition depots, and food stores are all constructed underground, making their contents nearly invisible from the outside. This is a structure designed to protect supplies from aerial forces such as the flying machines of the hypothetical enemy, Mu, or the wyverns utilized by nations in the south. During combat, soldiers take refuge in trenches, and magical artillery, among other things, is used to attack from within these trenches. This concept incorporates the trench warfare tactics of the hypothetical enemy, Mu.

So, up to this point, it should be quite clear that this fortress is indeed formidable. For regular armies of the Second Civilization Area, the difficulty of conquering it is exceedingly high, making it virtually impregnable. Even Mu would hesitate to attempt its capture. However, Japan did not hesitate. It's not that they are underestimating the fortress. Rather, as a result of a calm analysis, it was determined that it could be easily conquered, so they are preparing to deal with it with a relaxed attitude.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The defense of the fortress is entrusted to a total of 30.000 troops divided into 5 divisions, along with the 10th Corps of the Leiforian Army equipped with 40 magic cannons. Due to Leifor's technological prowess and social structure, their organization closely resembled that of the French Army Corps during the Napoleonic Wars. This means that the tactics of infantry, artillery, and cavalry warfare are prevalent.

"........."

Including Kinjaar, many of the soldiers harbored dissatisfaction with the Leiforian government which surrendered so easily. Along with them, the people of the eastern Leifor region continue their resistance activities almost like a resistance movement. This is because the eastern Leiforians were not well-informed about Japan's bombing or naval battles and did not appreciate a government that surrendered without engaging in land warfare, considering it "spineless."

"Report from reconnaissance. An enemy force equivalent to one brigade has begun advancing."

"One brigade? Could it be a reconnaissance unit or something?"

"Unsure, sir. But it's a fact that the enemy is moving."

Kinjaar was hesitant about whether to engage in a defensive battle here. Despite having a large stockpile, ammunition was not unlimited; there were definite limitations. If they squandered resources here, he was worried about whether they could hold out against the main force that would inevitably follow.

"But Commander, there's also information suggesting that the enemy's total force is only about one division. From the enemy's perspective, wouldn't this be more of a tentative attack?"

"Why do you think so?"

"I've heard that the enemy nation is an island country. So, they prioritize their navy, and they may not be able to allocate enough personnel to their army. I'm not being overly optimistic, but small country armies tend to be like that."

"Hmm..."

Kinjaar thought there was a lack of evidence for it, but he also considered that this theory was quite plausible for now. Despite his concerns, there was still some leeway in the stockpile. Kinjaar concluded that even if they repelled the enemy here, it wouldn't be too burdensome.