Chapter 12 - Near Yet Distant Compatriots

Thank you for your patience. This chapter will revolve around the first contact with Mu. I managed to study diplomacy and write it without any contradictions or gobbledygook.

- Sōsaku-ka ZERO rei

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Central District Fleet, Muish Federal Navy

The Muish Federal Navy is the guardians of the sea in the Second Civilization Area. They possess more than 20 battleships and are the second-largest naval organization in the world, capable of defending the vast territorial waters of the Mu Federation to the north and south.

Although their position is now being threatened by the emergence of the Gra Valkas Empire and they are being pressured to modernize, before the emergence of that country, they were nearly invincible in the Second Civilization Area and boasted a more refined first-rate navy than even the Leiforian Navy. For such a first-rate navy like the Mu Federation to be so shocked and pressured is a matter of great concern since the establishment of the navy.

"...Lookout, do you see anything?"

"No, it's eerily quiet."

The flagship of the Muish Federal Navy Central District Fleet, the La Kasami-class battleship La Kasami, was sailing northward. Captain Minilar instructed the crew to be on high alert.

The Muish Federal Navy is divided into three main districts, and the Central District Fleet, headquartered in the capital of Otaheit, consists of the La Kasami along with four battleships and six armored cruisers. All of these naval forces were deployed and heading north on this occasion. The nature of their mission is to take over the duties of the Northern District Fleet, which is based in the naval base in the northern seas. And the task that the Northern District Fleet was performing is, in brief, escorting a fleet of a certain country... which happens to be quite a troublesome other party to escort.

"...I see something! A massive ship silhouette spotted 11 miles ahead, at 12 o'clock!"

"You've seen it...?"

Minilar took up his binoculars and directed his gaze in that direction. There, faintly visible on the horizon, was the outline of a massive bridge. After a while, the full extent of the other ship became visible. It was a huge vessel resembling either an island or a maritime fortress, with a massive deck protruding from it. On the deck of what appeared to be an aircraft carrier, numerous aircraft were neatly lined up. It was much larger than the La Kasami, perhaps three times its size. Surrounding it were escort ships. Although the armament of the escort ships was slightly inferior, even that was significantly larger than the La Kasami.

"Central District Fleet, this is the Northern District Fleet flagship La Benzies. Requesting handover of escort duties."

"This is the Central District Fleet flagship La Kasami. Thank you for your service. We will proceed to take over the mission and guide them to Otaheit."

Having sent a concise communication to the Northern District Fleet, the fleet including the La Kasami began to encircle the aircraft carrier as part of the escort. However, within the ship, there was always a sense of vigilance toward the unknown fleet. After all, the other party had suddenly appeared, and the country they were escorting was Japan, which was considered a subject of heightened vigilance for allegedly unjustly invading Leifor.

. . .

Escort Flotilla 7

The former United States Navy Seventh Fleet, now renamed Escort Flotilla 7, had embarked on diplomatic missions to secure diplomatic routes in the Second Civilization Area. Although termed diplomatic missions, they were essentially gunboat diplomacy. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, having consistently drawn the short straw in diplomatic first contacts, deemed lukewarm diplomatic measures ineffective in this world. Hence, they resorted to gunboat diplomacy employing massive warships...