Chapter 24 - The Pride of the Special Forces Unit (Part 2)

Sorry for the two-week gap in uploads. Because this chapter is too long, I divided it into three parts: beginning, middle, and end.

- Sōsaku-ka ZERO rei

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Area 48, Holy Mirishial Empire

Before the 2nd Corridor, Command Room

It was just a few minutes after the hostage-taking by Japanese operatives. Mirishial security guards stationed in Area 48 were fixated on the command room where the hostages were held captive. Soldiers of the security team held magic guns, watching the door leading to the command room, barricaded with sandbags and the like. On the other side of that door were the hostages, the base commander, and terrorists identifying themselves as the "Sun God Front."

Into the tumultuous corridor, two figures hurried upon hearing the commotion. They were Meteos, the chief researcher, and Captain Eleazer of the Navy.

"What's the situation?"

"Oh, you two are here."

The deputy security commander in charge of the scene spoke upon seeing the two. He leaned against the wall, motioning for them to come closer to the corner of the corridor.

"What's the status of the opposition?"

"...We have no idea. Their affiliation, their numbers, and even how they managed to enter the command room remain unclear."

The deputy security commander lowered his gaze and explained the current situation to the two.

"Are we going in?"

"That's impossible... We don't know the enemy's numbers or armament, and since the magical surveillance devices have been destroyed, we have no idea what's going on inside or even where the hostages are. Charging in like this is just..."

"Damn it, we've been had," Eleazer spat, Meteos nodding in agreement.

The terrorists entering the command room were due to a breach in the security setup. This visibly frustrated Eleazer. As the security wasn't lax by any means, he couldn't blame the deputy security commander. The one who should have been in a position to cover up such issues was the base commander. However, as he himself was now a hostage, pursuing blame should be postponed. The priority now was to figure out how to rescue the base commander.

"Currently, the security commander is attempting direct dialogue with the terrorists... But their demands are unclear, and they keep evading, so it's taking time."

"What the hell are their objectives...?"

Taking hostages implies there must be some demands coming. Terrorists typically seek something, whether it be ransom or some other objective. However, these terrorists seemed to be stalling, buying time. Meteos and the others harbored deep suspicions about their intentions.

. . .

Area 48, Holy Mirishial Empire

JGSDF Special Operations Group

Meanwhile...

The location changes to the underground 1st Research Building. Inside, the Ground Self-Defense Force's Special Operations Group, having infiltrated the building, was engaged in combat with an unidentified hostile unit.

"Squads, report. This is Squad 1. We're engaged with the enemy, currently in combat. Over."

In the tense situation, the squad leader calmly conveyed the situation to each unit. In response, a reply comes from Squad 4, to which Agent Cobra belonged.