Chapter 14 - Misery Builds Character

Sorry for the three-week delay.

- Sōsaku-ka ZERO rei

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Located approximately 500 kilometers west of the Mu Continent, there is an island nation the size of Hokkaidō called the Kingdom of Irnetia. Like the Kingdom of Paganda, this place has naturally accumulated wealth over time as a key point connecting the Western nations and the Second Civilization Area. The capital city of Kirclus sees various goods come and go, and the city is bustling with activity. At the heart of Kirclus lies the imposing Royal Palace overlooking the prosperous cityscape. However, today the Royal Palace is filled with solemn tension centered around the Grand Conference Hall, where the country's dignitaries are holding a council before the king. Many participants are crossing their arms, sighing and murmuring as the meeting progresses. The reason for the somber tone of the meeting is the highly problematic nature of the agenda.

"As per the latest reports, the Mu Federation has made contact with Japan. It appears they have even concluded a trade treaty."

As the Prime Minister, acting as the facilitator, read out this information, the people in the assembly hall reacted with surprise and awe.

"Furthermore, it's reported that an envoy will soon be dispatched from the Mu Federation to Japan, and the Federation government is extensively publicizing this friendship with Japan."

The Prime Minister unfolded a newspaper article obtained from the Mu Federation, using it as evidence that this matter is also being widely promoted internally within the federation.

"What does this mean... Does Japan have no intentions of aggression?" King Iltis XIII of Irnetia wondered aloud. His thoughts echoed the collective doubts of everyone present.

"We cannot say for certain, but we should consider that there might be underlying motives. We should remain vigilant."

"Hmm..."

Concerns regarding the enigmatic emerging nation of Japan have been raised throughout various parts of the Second Civilization Area. Starting with its invasion of the Kingdom of Paganda, followed by aggressive acts towards Leifor, it has become widely known that "Japan has aggressive intentions towards the entire Second Civilization Area," a conclusion drawn even within Irnetia. However, Japan has made friendly contact with the Mu Federation, the leader of the Second Civilization Area, and even concluded a trade treaty with them. This was an unthinkable response based on the previous analysis, and it was quite disconcerting. However, despite Japan's recent contact with the Mu Federation, caution cannot be neglected. If anything, the initiation of diplomatic measures has raised further concerns.

"First, I would like to inquire with the Minister of Foreign Affairs."

"Aye."

The nobleman overseeing diplomacy in the capital, Bealey, was singled out, turning his gaze towards Iltis. Bealey, with a stout figure and gentle eyes, now spoke to Iltis with a firm gaze.

"You, who have traversed negotiations with great powers, are held in absolute trust. What intentions do you perceive Japan to have? Speak without reservation."

"Well... I believe there's something suspicious about Japan engaging in diplomatic negotiations with the Mu Federation after brazenly committing acts of aggression. It seems like they're up to something."

"Go on."

"Japan managed to defeat a force as formidable as Leifor's navy in just a few days. Don't you find that odd? Japan is a completely unknown country, an emerging nation. It's hard to believe that the navy of such a fledgling nation could defeat the powerful Leiforian navy."

Japan, Enemy of the New Worldजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें