Eloise Bridgerton - Chapter 33

Eloise sat up in bed in her darkened room and waited for a few moments, listening. 

All was quiet. 

She got up from the bed, fully dressed and tiptoed to the door, opening it as gently as possible. The hallway outside was dark as the house slept. Eloise paused, just inside the door, her heart racing. She was used to doing things her own way, but this.....well sneaking out at night to meet a gentleman was sure to bring about the ire of the ton....even the Queen.

Eloise saw a light flashing outside the window and hurried downstairs. She made her way to the garden and slipped through a tiny gap in the hedges. Before she could take another step, a faint voice called out her name.

Her heart thumping, Eloise turned to see the door opening of a carriage on the road. Theo had poked his head out and called her name again.

Eloise raised her eyebrows.

"Hurry", Theo whispered urgently.

Eloise nodded and swiftly made her way into the carriage. The moment she sat inside and shut the door, Theo knocked on the roof of the carriage and it took off.

Theo slid into the seat opposite Eloise as she looked around. Before she could say anything, Theo said "It's a hired coach. I thought it would be better that way. Less people who know will talk."

"Where did you get a hired coach from?", asked Eloise.

Theo gave a wry smile and said "I lived and worked in a print shop. Before becoming Marquess of Barclay, that was all I knew when it came to carriages."

Eloise gave a tight smile and looked out the window. She gave a small frown as she noticed the carriage taking a different route.

"Are we not going to the print shop?", asked Eloise looking at Theo.

Theo shook his head and said "There is an event at the assembly hall tonight, close to the print shop. Too many people and far too unsafe. Especially since you are there. I also wanted to talk to you without constant interruptions."

"Well where else is there?", asked Eloise.

Theo shrugged and said "Barclay Manor. No one lives there but me and I gave strict instructions that the house was to be locked up and I wasn't to be disturbed."

Eloise's eyes widened as her mouth dropped open.

"Barclay Manor?", she repeated.

Theo nodded his head, a small confused frown creasing his brow.

"What is it?", he asked.

"Theo, I don't think I should be....I...."

Eloise paused to take a deep breath and then said " I don't think it would be appropriate if anyone found out that I was at your house alone, at this hour."

Theo shook his head and said "No one is going to find out. That's the reason I brought a hired coach. No one works for me directly or knows anyone else of the ton. No one will know you are there."

Eloise pressed her lips together but didn't say anything as she looked out the window. She wanted to know what Theo had to say to her but......

"Are you alright?", asked Theo quietly. "I mean, you can trust me. I won't let any harm come to you. But if you are uncomfortable, I will take you back to your home right away."

Eloise looked at him and suddenly felt the rush of recklessness that defined her. She gave a crooked smile and said "I haven't learnt much from my sister, Daphne but I have learned to punch."