Eloise Bridgerton - Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Eloise gently opened the door of her room and peeked out into the corridor. The house was still and silent. She threw a hooded cape over her shoulders and tiptoed down the stairs, letting herself out of the house by a side door.

A carriage was waiting outside. Eloise stared at it for a few moments and then walked up to the coachman. Before she could say anything, the coachman said "The print shop, yes?"

Eloise raised her eyebrows and then hopped into the carriage. The carriage took off, rumbling along the quiet, cobbled streets of London. Eloise peeked out the window of the carriage.

It was daybreak and the sun was just appearing on the horizon. Soft light streamed through the clouds and fell in puddles on the streets. The city had just started to awaken from its slumber and the odd pedestrian was seen along the streets.

Eloise leaned back against the seat and closed her eyes. Excitement and nervousness piped up in her which was tempered by feelings of betrayal and anger.

"This whole thing is unimaginable", thought Eloise to herself. The carriage rumbled to a halt and Eloise peeked outside.

Right enough, the carriage stood in front of the print shop. The street was empty.

Eloise tutted impatiently and made to get out of the carriage when she noticed a movement out of the corner of her eye.

She looked up quickly and saw Theo walking towards her.

'I suppose I should call him 'Lord Barclay' now", she thought to herself. Eloise watched as he walked towards the waiting carriage.

The waking sun burnished Theo's dark hair to auburn. His bearing was erect and he wore a white shirt with a grey waistcoat and trousers with a red cravat. The outfit was similar to what he wore as a print shop assistant except the material was far more expensive.

"He looks...different", thought Eloise. "He always walked that way....it's something else though now. It can't just be the clothes. I suppose becoming the Marquess of Barclay changes you."

Eloise opened the door just as Theo reached the carriage. She froze as their eyes locked. They stared at each other for a few seconds and Eloise felt a strange tingling sensation course through her. She looked down quickly and made to get down when

Theo said "Allow me" and held out his hand to her.

Eloise grasped it for a brief second and then let go the minute her feet touched the ground.

Theo held his empty hand in the air for a few moments and then dropped it behind his back. Theo gestured to the print shop and Eloise nodded.

She followed him as he unlocked the print shop and ushered her inside. Eloise entered the print shop and looked around, it was empty. She turned around and crossed her arms, waiting.

Theo shut the door and turned to face her.

"I am sure you must have questions", began Theo but Eloise cut across.

"I deserve answers", Eloise snapped and then as though a dam broke free spoke "What on earth is going on? You disappear off the face of the earth and then turn up again as 'The Marquess of Barclay'?! You seemed to be having a fine time yesterday dancing with "all the other ladies". What happened to fighting for women's rights? You didn't tell anyone where you were going! Not me, not Fred! And it's quite clear that you or that oddball with you last evening have paid off the print shop owner because he now refuses to even acknowledge your existence and suddenly has a rapidly expanding business! I thought the Bow street runners had come to get you to find out about Whistledown! And yesterday you...."