Eloise Bridgerton - Chapter 23

"Eloise, why aren't you ready?", exclaimed Violet.

Eloise looked up from the book she was reading in her room at Number 5 Bruton and scowled at her mother.

"I thought the benefit of having a number of siblings is I can skip a ball or two and no one will notice my absence", responded Eloise, turning away.

"Daphne will and you know that", said Violet with a touch of impatience. "And so will I."

When Eloise didn't budge, Violet looked at her with a slight frown.

"Eloise dear is everything alright? You have seemed....on edge since we came back from the country", said Violet.

"Yes Eloise, why have you been on edge since we got back from the country?", asked Benedict, knocking on the door as he stood in the doorway.

Eloise gazed at him with narrowed eyes, feeling even more irked.

"You know what, Mother. You're probably right, people will miss me this evening", said Eloise rising to her feet.

"Good", said Violet, her face relaxing into a smile.

"They'll miss me pointing out how ridiculous the evening is", muttered Eloise as she turned away.

"What was that?", asked Violet.

"Nothing", said Eloise. "I'll be down soon enough."

"Very well, my dear", said Violet and left the room along with Benedict.

Eloise got ready, her mood as black as thunder. It had been two days since she returned from the country with her family. Three days since that night in the garden. And she hadn't heard from Theo yet. Eloise knew that there were no more events that he could attend, after all Anthony hadn't invited any one. The last day had been just the Bridgerton family. Filled with laughter and Pall Mall. Her siblings had teased her relentlessly when she had played badly. The house had been busy once they had got back and Eloise hadn't even been able to sneak away to the print shop. And no letter had arrived from Theo either.

"Maybe he doesn't want to speak to me", thought Eloise. "Well, that's fine. I am not like one of the ladies of the ton who needs a man to marry her."

***********************************************************************************************

Eloise looked around the Hastings residence as she entered with her mother and Benedict. Her mother was charming as always, delighted to attend a soiree at her eldest daughter's house. 

Daphne, Duchess of Hastings, swanned through the crowd, eager to greet her family.

Eloise managed a perfunctory smile and then turned away, her mind still churning. Despite her earlier thoughts, Eloise was worried. Eloise realised the precarious position in which she had placed herself. If anyone had seen her or found out, her reputation and that of her family's would be in tatters.

Eloise glimpsed Penelope across the room and as their eyes met, her worry increased and it was tinged with red hot anger at the memory of Penelope's betrayal.

"Mother I hear the Marquess of Barclay was a guest of Anthony's in the country. How was your time there?", asked Daphne.

"Oh it was lovely", said Violet. "The Marquess is absolutely charming. Haven't you met him yet?"

"No I haven't had the pleasure", replied Daphne. "But Simon has invited him this evening. Ah, I believe he is here."

Eloise turned her head so quickly she was sure she would get a crick in her neck.