Eloise Bridgerton - Chapter 15

"Eloise, my dear, could you please stop fidgeting", said Violet looking at her in exasperation before turning away.

Eloise gave a sigh and looked around as she struggled to not tap her feet on the floor.

Lady Reddington's ball was as usual a splendid affair. The large, brightly lit ballroom was swarming with members of the ton and lively music coursed through the room.

"Looking for someone, sister?", Benedict asked in an undertone.

Eloise glared at him before she turned away and said "Don't be ridiculous. I was merely observing members of the ton in their tedious routine."

"Hmmmm....a routine that you seem to be interested in joining", said Benedict.

"I will not dignify that statement with a response", scoffed Eloise.

"Perhaps because for the first time in your life, you don't have one", said Benedict.

"Oh look, there's Lady Danbury!", said Eloise.

Benedict turned around so suddenly he got a crick in his neck.

"My goodness, Mr. Bridgerton, I hope you didn't turn around with such speed just to catch a glimpse of me", cackled Lady Danbury as she stood in front of them.

"Lady Danbury, what a pleasure to see you again", said Benedict, rubbing his neck.

"I highly doubt it", said Lady Danbury with a small laugh.

"Well, if you ladies will excuse me, I must go and find my mother", said Benedict.

"Hurry off then", said Lady Danbury waving him away with her cane . "And how are you faring this evening, Lady Eloise?"

"Very well, thank you Lady Danbury", replied Eloise.

"I'm glad to hear that", said Lady Danbury. "And have any of the eligible bachelors of the ton caught your eye this evening,?"

"Oh.... well...no...I", stammered Eloise.

Lady Danbury looked around before she said, lowering her voice "Has the young Marquess of Barclay caught your eye yet?"

Eloise looked up at her with a startled expression on her face.

"Lady Danbury, I....." stuttered Eloise.

"Eloise Bridgerton at a loss for words. My, my I never thought I would see that day", said Lady Danbury. "Fear not child, my lips are sealed. I carry secrets that are older than you."

Eloise stared at her, too stunned to say anything else but Lady Danbury seemed supremely unconcerned as she looked around her.

After a few moments, Eloise found her voice and asked "How did you...I..."

"My dear child, considering how reluctant you have always seemed to offer more than a glance to the gentlemen of the ton, it did not escape my notice when you actually danced with the new Marquess. But there, I don't believe anyone apart from me would have noticed. Not many of the ton are as nosy as I am."

Eloise was inclined to agree but held her tongue as she knew it would be bad manners.

"I urge you to stay on your toes though", said Lady Danbury suddenly.

"Stay on my toes?", repeated Eloise. "Why?"

"Lord Barclay is a Marquess after all and a highly eligible bachelor. Most of the ton have looks or money or personality. The young Marquess seems to possess all three."

"Come now, Lady Danbury, you couldn't know about his personality after meeting him a handful of times", said Eloise.

"Child, when you reach my age, often a glance is enough to discern the character of a man", said Lady Danbury sharply.