Eloise Bridgerton - Chapter 24

Eloise leaned her head against the carriage as it made its way down the streets away from Mayfair and towards the print shop. 

It was the crack of dawn and she had snuck out of the house to meet Theo. Uncharacteristically, Eloise's mind was blank. She was tired from her own turbulent thoughts over the past few weeks, especially the past few days.

Eloise was unsure what Theo wanted to speak to her about and she had avoided thinking about it. The carriage suddenly came to a stop and she straightened. Eloise looked around as she got out of the carriage.

The print shop loomed in front of her and it seemed deserted. Eloise frowned slightly as she made her way towards it, wondering where Fred was.

Just as she was about to touch the handle, the door swung open to reveal Theo.

"Ah you're here", said Theo.

Eloise nodded silently and entered the print shop. As she passed Theo, Eloise's shoulder brushed his arm. She immediately hunched and moved away from him, a motion that didn't go unnoticed by Theo.

Theo frowned but didn't say anything as he shut the door. Eloise walked further into the shop, looking around. After a few moments she turned around to face Theo.

"Where's Fred?", asked Eloise.

'Oh...ahh... he had a few errands to run... away from here", said Theo.

"Errands that you gave him", said Eloise.

Theo sighed and said "I thought it's best for the two of us to speak alone. Without the ton, without Fred, without anyone."

"Alright", said Eloise. "What did you want to say?"

Before Theo could answer, Eloise pulled a parchment from her coat and placed it on a table in the shop.

"Here's your article", she said.

"Er.... thank you", said Theo. "What...what did you think of it?"

"I added in a few corrections", said Eloise. "The rest of it....was weak."

Theo gave a small smile at the statement and said "I suppose I deserve that."

"Eloise......I......", began Theo and then stopped, unsure how to continue. He cleared his throat a few times as Eloise looked at him with narrowed eyes.

"If you're worried, you shouldn't be", said Eloise sternly. "I don't believe anyone saw us."

"I'm not worried.... Why would you think that?", asked Theo.

Eloise said "I don't want you to think you are being forced into anything."

"What?!" exclaimed Theo. "Is that why you think I called you here today?? To get out of something? Or to 'get out stories straight'?

Eloise shrugged but didn't say anything.

"No!", said Theo vehemently. "How could you think that? Do you honestly think that low of me??"

"Why would I think any different after the way you have behaved?", said Eloise, anger entering her voice.

"I...I thought....I thought you wanted to... that's why I...." stuttered Theo.

"I'm not talking about the kiss", said Eloise impatiently. "I'm talking about after that."

"If you're referring to the fact that I haven't got in touch with you, I would have thought you understood that I couldn't", said Theo.