Eloise Bridgerton - Chapter 16

"What was the eye roll for?", asked Theo the moment they had stepped onto the dance floor.

"My mother's reaction", said Eloise, shaking her head. "She was so used to me saying no to every dance last season, that every time I say yes to a dance this season, she is overjoyed."

Theo smiled as they waited for the dance to begin.

Eloise gazed at him and keenly felt the warmth of his palm seep through her gloved hand, electrifying her and she stood a little straighter. To distract herself, she took in his attire.

As she had seen him the past few times, he was dressed in grey but this time there was a pop of colour at his throat in the form of a red cravat. She raised her eyebrows and looked up at him.

Theo looked at her questioningly.

"That cravat looks strangely similar to what you wore when you worked at the print shop", said Eloise as the music started.

"It's completely different", said Theo.

"How so?", asked Eloise.

"It cost much more", said Theo.

Eloise gave a small laugh which Theo responded to with a smile. Over his shoulder, Eloise noticed Anthony and Benedict standing in the corner watching the two of them.

"What happened to your article?", asked Eloise, turning away from her brothers and focusing her attention back on Theo.

"I sent it over to be published. I changed my name on it slightly", said Theo. "It just reads Sharpe now."

Eloise gave a small laugh and said "Sharpe. The author's name seems to reflect his views."

"Well, I suppose any thought is thought to be sharp by the ton", said Theo with a smile.

"Of which you are a part of now", reminded Eloise.

"Let's see how long it lasts", said Theo with a smirk. "It's possibly the only secret Whistledown has yet to uncover."

Eloise didn't say anything but turned away. Theo frowned as he observed her reaction and then looked around.

Theo noticed Penelope Featherington standing in the far corner watching the two of them. The moment she caught his eye, Penelope flushed a pale pink and then turned away.

"Do you know that woman?", asked Theo to Eloise.

"Which one?", asked Eloise.

"The one with red hair. Her name is Penelope Featherington I believe", said Theo.

"Everyone in the ton knows of each other but I doubt any of us really knows each other", said Eloise.

"Not like you to give such a roundabout answer", said Theo.

"Why do you ask about her?", questioned Eloise.

"Not sure", said Theo. "I have bumped into her twice and got this strange feeling that she knows who I really am."

Eloise looked up at him sharply and asked "Did she say anything?"

Theo shook his head and replied "Apart from a cursory greeting, nothing really."

"Hmm....", said Eloise, not sure what to say.

"I believe Cressida is ready to skewer me", said Eloise after a few moments of silence.

Theo sighed and said "The dancing is probably the most tedious part of these gatherings."

"I am flattered", said Eloise rolling her eyes.