Eloise Bridgerton - Chapter 25

Eloise returned the pressure on her fingers. Theo moved his fingers till he grasped her whole hand.

Eloise felt a strange tingling sensation at the center of her palm where Theo's fingers touched her skin which travelled all the way down to her stomach and burst into a flame. A flame that she didn't know existed till then. Feeling Theo's eyes on her, Eloise looked up.

Theo's large, green brown eyes smouldered as he gazed at her with fire and passion. Eloise felt her breath catch in her throat as the flame in her stomach burned stronger under his eyes.

Theo closed the gap between them and placed her hand on his chest. Eloise let out a deep exhale as she rubbed the fabric of his coat. Her lips parted slightly and her breath caught as he raised his other hand and placed it behind her neck, stroking her cheek gently with his thumb.

Theo carried out the actions with a gentleness that distracted from the burning passion in his eyes.

His thumb moved down her chin and across her jawline, and he delicately traced her lower lip. Eloise inhaled sharply at his touch and Theo pulled her even closer. Theo tilted her face up towards his and Eloise closed her eyes, unable to bear the passion any longer, waiting. Theo paused for a moment, feeling her tremble slightly beneath his fingers as he examined her delicate features. He swooped down and gently pressed his lips against hers. Theo paused for an instant and then claimed her mouth again, this time with more insistence. An insistence that he hadn't shown last time. Eloise responded with a gusto that surprised him.

Eloise clutched his coat tight with both hands as she claimed his mouth with equal insistence.

Theo cupped her face with both hands, his fingers running her hair as he forgot the world. His hands itched to place themselves around her svelte frame, across her waist and hug her close to his own body, never letting her go. But he dared not. A small very distant voice in his mind was urgently reminding him that they were in public, in a print shop and she was a lady of the ton. He fought against the voice for a considerable time before it grew louder to the point where he couldn't ignore it. He savoured her lips for a final moment before reluctantly pulling free.

They both breathed heavily as their foreheads rested against each other, their eyes still shut.

"Eloise", breathed Theo.

"Yes", murmured Eloise.

"I don't want to go", said Theo, shaking his head. "I don't want to let go of you."

Eloise said nothing but touched his face softly.

"Eloise", said Theo, his voice stronger as he realised that things needed to be discussed. "Eloise, would it be alright if I courted you?"

Eloise gave a small laugh and said "That's a funny question. I'm pretty sure what we did just now is supposed to happen once the courtship is over and has been a success."

"Eloise", said Theo in all seriousness, leaning away so that his forehead no longer touched hers. He gazed into her eyes and was momentarily distracted. Her face shone and her lips were slightly swollen with his kiss. Her eyes, deep and soulful melted his heart and he once again felt the desire to lose himself in her completely.

Theo shook his head and said "Eloise, I want to marry you. I would marry you today, right now if you would have me. The only reason I wish to court you first is to let the estate formalities get over."

"What estate formalities?", asked Eloise in surprise.

"I want to make sure the estate is mine and can't be taken away. This is the only way for me to ensure that we can be together and you won't be ostracised by the ton."