Eloise Bridgerton - Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Theo shook his head as he watched her go.

"Typical of Eloise", he thought to himself. "She has to have the last word. She is usually right though. Still at least I can see her more often now...." thought Theo to himself.

He shook his head as he got into the carriage and thought "She didn't want to have anything to do with me when I was a print shop assistant. I expect she is just like the rest of the ton. The only reason she is speaking to me now is because I am Lord something."

Theo sat staring at the front of the carriage until he heard a door open. Blinking he looked around and realised the carriage had come to a halt outside Barclay mansion and the footman was holding the door open.

Theo jumped down and gazed up at the white stucco fronted square mansion. He looked around the street he stood on and noted all the other homes were the same.

"Lord Barclay", a voice called out.

"The houses here probably belong to some pompous Lord", thought Theo to himself in annoyance.

"Lord Barclay" came the voice more insistently.

Theo heard the clearing of a throat and turned to find Vandenberg Red standing in front of him.

"Lord Barclay", the solicitor repeated for the third time. Theo flinched at the words.

"Mr. Red", said Theo with a sigh as he looked down.

"Is everything alright, my lord?", asked Mr. Red with a concerned look on his face.

Theo paused for a moment and then said "Would it be too much for you to call me Theo instead of 'my lord'?"

Mr. Red shook his head and said "You are the Marquess of Barclay and that is your title."

Theo said "I somehow am waiting for someone to tell me that this is all a bad dream. Especially last night, I am no lord. I work in a print shop and I write."

"You used to work in a print shop", corrected Mr. Red gently. "And you can still write, nothing stops you from that."

"There isn't any time to do any writing with the amount of conversations Finch has with me over the estate and the number of social engagements he has accepted on my behalf. It's been two weeks that I have started learning about the estate and it hasn't gotten any clearer", replied Theo.

"Give it some time", said Mr. Red. "It takes people years to understand the estate and they learn it from a young age."

"I suppose so", said Theo. "

"As for the social engagements, they are necessary for the next steps", replied Mr. Red

"Next steps?" queried Theo as they made their way to the house.

"Well, I am sure at some point His Lordship would seek to have a bride and start a family", said Mr. Red.

Theo froze in his steps and gazed at Mr. Red.

Mr. Red raised his eyebrows and said "Or perhaps someone has already caught Your Lordship's eye?"

"No", replied Theo quickly. "No", he repeated with forced calm.

Mr. Red nodded and said "Very well. Mr. Finch is waiting for us. You will have sometime to yourself this evening as I believe you have no social engagement planned. Lady Montague's engagements generally occur a little before the season starts in full swing."