Eloise Bridgerton - Chapter 28

Vandenberg Red stepped onto the road with a worried look on his face. 

It seemed the Marquess had significant debts to pay off and he was funneling the money through the estate. Red wondered if these debts stretched back to before the Marquess had taken over the title.

Vandenberg Red felt bitterly disappointed. The young Marquess had shown a great amount of promise. It seems it was all for naught. In his experience as a solicitor, Vandenberg Red knew that the problem of accumulating debts, particularly gambling ones, only compounded with time.

"There is nothing to be done", thought Red to himself grimly as he started walking towards the Barclay Manor. "He is the current Marquess of Barclay, the paperwork has already been taken care of. Besides, I could not tell the ton about his gambling debts. They would never take my word over that of a Lord. It would be a breach of my sworn duty. Nevertheless, it's best to warn the Marquess to lay low as far as his gambling goes for a while. The current debts can be taken care of immediately. The estate has enough money to do that."

Red heaved a sigh of disappointment as he entered Barclay Manor. He was informed that the Marquess would return shortly and had requested Red to wait for him in the study as the Marquess needed to speak to him.

Vandenberg Red sat down across the desk and gazed at the empty seat.

"What a waste", Red thought with disappointment.

Just then, footsteps could be heard in the hallway and presently the door to the study opened.

"My Lord", said Mr. Red, standing up as Theo entered the study at Barclay Manor.

"Mr. Red", said Theo with a smile. "I haven't seen you in a while since we came back from the country. I was wondering where you disappeared."

"Apologies, my Lord. I had a few things to take care of", said Mr. Red.

"Of course", said Theo. "By the way, have you had a chance to speak with Finch yet?"

"Finch? No, my Lord. Is something wrong?", asked Mr. Red.

"No, not wrong per say", said Theo. "I just have spoken to him face to face in a few days. Ever since we left for the country in fact. He has the documents sent up with one of the butlers. I sign them and hand them back."

"Well, that's usually how it works, my Lord", said Mr. Red.

Theo looked at him and a slight crease formed between his eyebrows. Theo noted that Vandenberg Red looked out of sorts.

"In fact", thought Theo to himself "he looks upset and dare I say angry. I wonder what's wrong."

Theo said aloud "Is everything alright, Mr. Red?"

"Yes, my Lord", said Red, clearing his throat. "I only meant to say perhaps Finch didn't want to bother you."

"Oh well I had asked him to bother me", said Theo. "I have a few questions about the estate and the books."

"Ah yes, the books", said Red, grabbing the opening but not sure how to continue. "There was something I wanted to speak to you about, my Lord. Concerning the books specifically."

"Yes, Mr. Red", said Theo, settling back in his chair.

"Well, my Lord. I hope you don't think I am indelicate for saying this. But my recommendation to you is to pay off the concern in full as of now. The estate is doing well at this point. Once the outstanding amounts are cleared, I would advise His Lordship to refrain from any further...ahem...interactions with the concern for this season. Particularly as His Lordship is new to the ton and even the whiff of a scandal would be detrimental."