Eloise Bridgerton - Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Eloise dear, you look lovely", said Violet as Eloise joined the rest of the family downstairs. "But, I thought you would wear the other gown."

"I felt like something different this evening", said Eloise.

"You always do", said Benedict, taking her hand and linking through his own arm.

Eloise patted his arm fondly and the two of them led the family to the waiting carriage.

"I wonder why Lady Montague has these balls anymore. Her children are married, aren't they?", asked Eloise as they set off.

"Yes Eloise, but there are other reasons to have a ball", said Violet.

"Not according to you", said Eloise as Benedict snickered.

"Well, I'm glad to see some of your spirit has returned", said Violet.

"Mother, that's surprising to hear. I thought my spirit was always a cause of concern for you", said Eloise in a surprised voice as the carriage came to a halt.

"A minor source of annoyance at times, but not concern", said Violet. She gave Eloise a fond smile as they stepped out of the carriage and made their way inside.

The ballroom was full by the time the Bridgertons entered.

"What is going on?", asked Eloise, observing the excitement on the faces of the women in the room.

"Oh, they're probably waiting for the new Marquess of Barclay", replied Violet.

Eloise rolled her eyes and said "I suppose he is an eligible bachelor?"

"Very much so", said Violet, giving Eloise a meaningful look.

"When did the old Marquess of Barclay pass? I hadn't heard of it", said Eloise.

"I believe it was just a few weeks ago", said Violet.

"And who is the new Marquess? Have we met him before?", asked Benedict.

Violet shook her head "Nobody knows who the new Marquess is. I believe he...."

Violet paused as a hush overcame the assembled hall. Every head turned towards the front of the room. Two people entered the room, only the tops of their heads visible.

Eloise turned away and noticed Lord and Lady Hawthorne hurry to greet the newcomers.

"I suppose you will be queuing up your daughter to dance with the new Marquess, Lady Bridgerton?" asked a sharp voice.

The Bridgertons wheeled around to find Lady Danbury standing behind them.

"Lady Danbury", said Violet. "How lovely to see you this evening"

"Hmmm....", replied Lady Danbury. "Look at them all a flutter because of the new Marquess. Except for you, Lady Eloise", she finished sharply, turning to Eloise.

Eloise glared at Benedict as he smirked behind Lady Danbury's back.

"They seem to be quite excited", said Violet. "Benedict and Eloise, why don't we go and introduce ourselves to the new Marquess?"

As Eloise opened her mouth, Lady Danbury cut across once again "You may want to meet the Marquess first before dismissing him as another bore."

Eloise picked up a champagne glass from a passing waiter and turned to look in the same direction her mother was facing.