Eloise Bridgerton - Chapter 32

"Lord and Lady Roquefort cordially invite you to....", read Theo aloud before tossing the invite to the side. 

He straightened his cravat as the carriage made its way to the ball. After his conversation with Red and Finch, Theo had spent the rest of the day pacing in his study, waiting for the ball.

Theo nodded and smiled mechanically as he got out of the carriage and made his way inside. Lord Roquefort's manor was beautifully decorated and was filled with guests, all conversing with each other eagerly.

All of this was wasted on Theo as he entered the main hall. He nodded politely at the simpering young women, unseeing as his eyes roamed the crowd, looking for Eloise's dark head of hair.

Theo paused sight as he caught sight of Lady Violet. She was in deep conversation with Lady Danbury and next to her was Eloise.

Theo's eyes widened and he pushed past the crowd towards them, ignoring the raised eyebrows and whispers that followed.

***********************************************************************************************

Eloise wasn't sure why she had agreed to join her mother at the Roquefort ball. She had mentally attributed her mother's relentless entreaties as to why she was attending.

The moment the Bridgertons entered Lady Danbury had accosted them. 

Eloise stood next to her mother, shifting her weight impatiently from one foot to another. She studiously avoided meeting anyone's gaze so that she wouldn't have to dance.

"And will we get a chance to see the rest of the Bridgertons this evening?", asked Lady Danbury.

"Anthony and Kate did say they would make an appearance", replied Violet. "As for the rest..."

"It seems you have yet to convince the other Bridgertons to follow their siblings down the aisle", said Lady Danbury.

"Ah well....", said Violet.

"Oh Lady Violet, I was jesting. I am fully confident in your ability to marry off the rest of your brood", said Lady Danbury with a cackle. "Although I must admit, I am slightly surprised that Lady Eloise has thrown her hat in the matrimony ring."

Eloise jerked at the sound of her name and looked between her mother and Lady Danbury, mouth falling open slightly. She cleared her throat and was about to speak when Lady Danbury cut across.

"It seems you will dance tonight after all, Lady Eloise", said Lady Danbury, nodding behind her.

Eloise turned around, wincing with annoyance at Lady Danbury's words and her inability to provide a response. 

Before she could think of anything else, Theo stood in front of her.

Eloise felt a sudden knot in her stomach as Theo bowed in front of her. As she watched him exchange pleasantries, Eloise felt strangely fluttery as a tingling sensation coursed through her.

"Lord Barclay, we were just talking about you", rasped Lady Danbury.

"Is that so, my Lady?", asked Theo in a polite voice though his eyes kept darting to Eloise.

"Indeed", said Lady Danbury, cackling. "But you mustn't waste time talking to two old women. In fact I suppose you will be asking Lady Eloise for a dance now?"

Theo cleared his throat uncomfortably at the comment but steeled himself and said "Well, erm... Lady Eloise, if you would do me the honour of this dance?"

Eloise nodded and placed her hand in his proffered arm, without looking at him. Lady Danbury smirked as the pair of them left. Theo cleared his throat again as he looked away from her and nodded politely at Violet.