TOO SWEET

SUMMARY: You and Harry are worlds apart, yet you can't let go of each other, not even when he stumbles into your home in the middle of the night, bruised and in pain.

WARNING: mention of blood and bruises

WORD COUNT: 1.5k

You wake to the sound of the front door closing and by the time his footsteps reach the bathroom down the hall you're fully conscious. There was a time when you considered yourself a heavy sleeper, when the smallest noises could not bother you enough to wake from your dreams, but those days have been gone ever since Harry came into your life.

You kind of knew what you were getting yourself into, his reputation and horrific stories about his dark deals were more than well-known around town and there was a time you never thought you'd get involved with him. You're worlds apart, he is the fire that will burn you if you get too close, but it appears you're the water that could take his danger out. Just one party, one glance across the room was enough to bound you two together and turn your life upside down.

Surprisingly, you weren't the only one fighting against the pull. In the beginning, Harry tried to keep him away from you just as much as you attempted to convince yourself he is nothing but trouble. You still remember what he told you one night when you met him at a dodgy bar against your better judgment.

"I take my whiskey neat, my coffee black and my bed at three. You're way too sweet for me, baby."

It felt like he wasn't even talking to you but to himself. His light green eyes were darker than ever as he stared down at your lips and you couldn't figure out what you wanted more, to kiss him or to leave him. Even though what he said sounded a lot like a promise that he'll step back, somehow you just ended up even closer.

Life with Harry is like a rollercoaster that takes you through Hell and Heaven at the same time. When it's good, it's a high you've never experienced before, he is everything you want and could ever need, he fills your heart and eases your mind like no one can and you know he is the piece you've been searching for all your life.

But when it's low... the darkness feels like a weight you can barely carry and it's hard to remember what it was like when you were blossoming.

You never asked Harry to stop his underworld deals, you know it's practically impossible, but it's also hard to live like this. Fearing every call you get, fighting intrusive thoughts about what might have happened to him every time he doesn't answer your messages and then there are the nights like this, when he visits you in the middle of the night but it's always for the wrong reason.

The first time Harry appeared at your door at two am, blood running down his face, barely holding himself up, you got so worried he had to calm you even though he was the one with the injuries, but you just couldn't stop crying and sobbing.

Now you still get yourself worked up but you learned to keep your face straight as you clean his wounds or even stitch them, but it's still just as much of a struggle emotionally to see the man you love like this all the time.

You sit up in your bed as you hear him grunt before closing the bathroom door as quietly as he can and then the water starts running. Reaching for your phone on the nightstand you check the time, it's just a little past three in the morning, the dim light of the streetlamps are the only source of light in your tiny bedroom, but even despite the darkness, it still feels bright and homey, you spent a lot of time to create this bubble for yourself and though Harry's gruff and edgy presence feels the farthest from your colorful life, he still somehow belongs here, in your life.