MIDNIGHT CRUSH

SUMMARY: Harry has had a crush on Sarah's sister for a long time and this year, at the NYE party he can finally shoot his shot, because she's freshly single.

WORD COUNT: 3.6k

"So, what should I bring for the party?" Harry asks as he, Sarah and Mitch enter the couple's home following their Christmas lunch together that Harry invited them out for.

"Just yourself," Sarah smiles.

"Booze," Mitch says at the same time, making his friend laugh.

"Got it. And who is coming?"

The three of them walk into the kitchen as Sarah grabs a bottle of wine from the fridge to pour them all a drink. Harry climbs to a stool by the kitchen island and mumbles a thank you when she hands him his glass.

"Mostly the same people we always invite," Mitch shrugs. "Oh, and Sarah's sister."

Harry almost chokes on the wine, the pair exchanging an amused look, because they expected him to react like this.

"Y-Your sister is coming? Y/N?"

"Yeah," Sarah nods smiling. "You know, she was planning to stay home, but I can't let her celebrate alone, not after the year she had."

"Why? What happened?"

"Oh, you don't know?" Sarah smirks, knowing well Harry most likely has no idea what happened to you just a few months ago. "She broke up with her boyfriend."

"Y/N is single?" Harry's eyes are basically popping out of his head before he tries to control his face and rephrase his reaction. "I mean, what happened with them? I thought they were doing fine."

"The dude was an ass," Mitch speaks up, leaning against the counter. "We don't have proof, but I'm pretty sure he cheated on her."

"What?!"

"Yeah, well, it wasn't working either, so she broke up with him in... what, like October? I don't remember," Sarah shrugs.

"Oh, wow. They've been together for a long time, right?"

"Three years," Mitch nods.

"She's been pretty bummed, so I want to get her out of her little cave," Sarah smiles, taking a sip from her drink.

"So she'll be at the party," Harry hums.

"Yeah. You two got along well, didn't you?"

"Uh, yeah, you could... say that."

That is an understatement and all three of them knows. To be exact, Harry fell in love with you probably the moment he laid his eyes on you at Sarah's birthday party last year, but you were happily dating Matthew who couldn't come to the party because of a work trip. You and Harry hit it off right away and you were inseparable the whole time, he felt like as if it wasn't the very first time he met you, like you were good friends since forever.

Finding out that you were in a long term relationship was like a slap across his face, but he tried his best to mask his disappointment. Every time the two of you saw each other he forced himself to keep a distance, but always failed and ended up falling for you even harder. He could feel his heart breaking every time you went home to your boyfriend and he knew he should forget about you, but it was easier said than done.

But now you're single and he'll be seeing you again and for the first time, he won't have to be ashamed to be pining after you.

"Just make sure you don't drool when she arrives," Mitch teases him, to which Harry just rolls his eyes.