cas + karen

Sometimes, friends support each other through thick and thin

But your problems are still your own.

—————

Cassidy was already nervous when Karen left a note by her window to meet her on some unknown part of the woods.

She at-least expected Lucas to be there waiting with her. But no, the blonde was sitting on a log alone, it won't hurt to join her.

It was just silence, until Cassidy realized the voice that broke it wasn't her own.

And the words crashed into Cassidy like time itself broke like glass.

Karen gulps and looks away, "when I saw what happened to Nala or even when Jacob-"

She pauses,
"passed, I never blamed you."

Wow okay.

Cassidy nodded, she stayed calm. At least on the outside she did. The memories threatened to flood into her mind & turn them into tears.

She won't think of Jacob's howls for help or Nala's roars of pain, not now.

The bigger dog choked out a simple, "thanks," and kept looking forward trying to focus on the pretty sun instead of Karen.

"Why'd you want me here?" The brunette tilts her head but Karen's eyes just widen, "are you okay?"

. . .
Karen nodded, but kept going. The things haunting her mind crawling out again.

"Do you ever feel like," the Pomeranian holds her own paws, "that they hated us?"

It's silent except for crickets and birds shuffling behind them.

Trying to gather the right words Cassidy lets a whisper, "Karen how could you even-"

"Think about it Cassidy- we're still here and they're gone!" Karen desperately shook her shoulders, "it's like we're being set up."

She couldn't have been more right, but for someone that knows so much she seems
off.

It starts to get darker, and the pretty sun dissolves into the moon.

Cassidy shakes her head, it couldn't be enough that the gang felt this way. She did too,

Puppy dog eyes are aimed at the poor girl, and Cas sighs.

"I'll never heal Cas, I always think I can but. . . I just can't." The once cheerful girl looks somber, like a part of her just faded.

It was so unlike her,

Cassidy looks forward blankly and puts her head in her paw.

"Don't I know it, I always feel like I couldn't save them." Cassidy keeps going to distract Karen,

She catches her breath again, but loses it just as fast "almost like-"

"Like it was my fault-" they say it together; like their minds merged into one guilty mess.

Karen shakes her head, and looks Cassidy in the eyes.

Karen looks so different, like she grew up while Cassidy was too busy admiring to notice.

Her brown hair was settling in, and well...

It looks beautiful,

Would it be foolish to say the Pomeranian could be a reflection of herself ?

A blonde paw lands on a brunette one,

And dark pink eyes look up at hazel ones, and jesus Cassidy might be losing it genuinely.

It's silent again, but there are no comforting sounds of nature.

It's just them.

A pitch of someone breathing, and Karen gently turns Cassidy's face towards her.

"If I said I loved you, would it protect you...?" Karen asks desperately almost grabbing onto her friend's arm like it was a life line.

And poor Cassidy's voice hitches and she struggled to breathe again , "maybe-"

The smaller dog looks in pain when she whispers, "because I do. I love you-" she repeats it like she's come down with something.

Oh,

But no matter what.
Cassidy won't fall for it.
She refuses to put Karen in that position.

If she loves her, what could happen?

So? She leaves.

Karen does not chase after her.

She just lets her leave, I'm sure she understands.