emmet + zawn

There was something about the new kid,

Was it his hair? The way he hated eye contact?

Emmett Bigora, the kid everyone's been talking about, chattering and judging on how "slow" he may be.

But, Zawn just can't see it!

In fact, he might even say Emmett's the best guy he's ever met. . .
———

It all started like normal, when . . .

———

Zawn picks up his books and snorts when Jake flexes his muscles towards some pretty girls, "that doesn't ACTUALLY work" he growls,

Jake snaps back that he's being stupid, and he goes back to kissing his arms again.

Classic Jake.

Zawn taps his chin as he walks down the hallway, towering over many students along the way.

He thinks out loud, "does flexing actually work on girls? I mean sure. Theyre hunky and whatever but wh-" but something hits him in the abdomen!

Or . . . Whats below it atleast.

"HNNGGRHH-" Zawn groans in chalk-scrapping agony as he covers his tenders.

"WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!" He shouts in that "classic loud and over bearing jock" voice he mastered.

But below him, was the kid everyone mentioned it's  the homeschooled kid, right in front of him!

The living legend and- whys he so small?

Emmett sure was something,
he was chubby and over all small in stature with hair covering his eyes.

Something about him was, interesting.

The bison hands a baffled Zawn his books, "are you okay? You're kind of staring and its really scary-" Emmett's frown deepened as Zawn stands up to his full height.

Man he was short, and he was avoiding eye contact for some reason?

Zawn snorts and Emmett looks disheartened, DID HE SAY THAT OUTLOUD?

While nervously laughing Emmett gives a half hearted smile and scurries away like a mouse.

Man.

.

Zawn grabs his own face and shakes violently, while Jake and Jacob toss snacks into each gaping mouths.

Jake laughs like a monster and slams the desk with his fists, "who CARES ZAWN? So you scared away the special kid? Who gives a DAMN?" He keeps cackling

Jacob rolls his eyes, "just apologize Zawn, it's his first day!" He scoffs as he tosses another chip in Jake's maw.

Zawn hesitates, but he can't ruin his reputation! So? He goes. . .

Out in the field, after searching and searching, he finally catches what looks to be a boy with brown & cream striped fur.

But Emmett was sitting alone, surely he must have friends right?

Oh who is he kidding?

The black Labrador hops up next to the bison and ends up almost knocking him over!

"Who goes there?" Emmett shouts and realized in horror that its just the scary foot ball player he KNOCKED INTO.

Zawn stares blankly downward, struggling. "I wanted to say sorry- for scaring ya? I mean ya looked terri'fyed!"

Emmett is still silent, reflecting Zawn's blank look earlier.

"Are ya mad?" Zawn fumbles, forever hoping no one sees him freaking out like this.

And the next words Emmett says might either ruin or totally make up his LIFE he's still deciding. . .

Adjusting his sweater, Emmett FINALLY makes eye contact with him. Thin brown eyes crinkled with joy.

"Why would I be mad? You just made a mistake?" The bison boy begins to smile and kick his feet, "everyone makes mistakes?"

Zawn nods and looks away, "for sure." He rubs the back of his neck in silence , "y'know you're different. . ."

Zawn looks down to apologize again, but Emmett's smile beats him to it.

Emmett looks away and Zawn follows suit.

"We're very different," Emmett agrees while mindlessly eating again.

"True, can I take a bite of that?" Zawn points at his sandwich and pats his tummy.

Emmett looks back, tilting his head but hands some anyway happily.

"I always like different better anyway" and with a final flex, Zawn pats his new pal's back with glee.

Maybe it is okay.

To like Emmett Bigora, and his awkward-ness.
To like him even when Jake says it might get you bullied.

Zawn thinks it's worth it, for sure.