Chapter 200.2: Árbol de la Vida

She nearly gasps, until she swivels and sees that handsome face... twisted into a scowl. His wild, windswept chestnut curls frame his sharp features, making him even more menacing. Eleanore deflates. "Oh, tesoro..."

"This is the second time you went around Havana without telling anyone where you will be going," Anton grumbles, "How many times must I repeat myself?"

Her cheeks redden, but the sun is just about to set... and it is setting faster, turning into orange when before it was golden.

Anton could not care less. He raises a brow and dares her to voice an explanation. "Eleanore."

Well, we are married. Eleanore balks. But I had to leave! She sighs, for she could remember thinking at the back of her mind how he would be worried. Yet... there was no excuse for not even leaving just a note in the cabin.

"Mierda." He is tired, however. If Anton has more to say, he simply clenches his jaw tight and leads her away by her arm like a kitten. "We have to go."

That is how she knows how angry and disappointed he is. Oh, no. "Sorry," Eleanore softly says.

"What?"

"I said I am sorry for not telling you."

He raises both brows now. "You should have thought about that before." Anton frowns. "You are still unwell, and this city is not safe, do you hear me? You no longer have a weapon with you. You did not even take Torkin or Poco. Do you think I do not worry? You did not even tell me."

"I know! I am sorry!" She huffs, trying her best not to raise her voice in turn... her mind still carefully curating all that she has learned and received from that revelation by the ceiba tree. Their furious gazes meet, but she concedes... heart pricked by sorrow at his pain and her oversight to it. "I... I needed to be alone, darling. I am truly sorry."

His anger does not leave, but it does simmer down. Anton deigns to hold her hand, tightly. "You cannot even tell me what it is? We have talked about this yesterday. I must know when you are sad, tesoro. Let me carry that burden with you." She plods her slippers on the cobblestones. Her husband sighs. "Tortuga is something I do not want us to relive, Lenore."

She stills and looks up at him.

Anton deftly turns to her to hide from the soldiers by the Fuerza and also conceal her own visage from their vantage point. He eyes the townspeople, watching for any suspicious gaze. "You took upon all the threats on your own and hid from us all," Anton firmly says, "That made those fears only threaten you louder in your head. It made you think you were alone. You could lose your mind, tesoro, do you see that? As much as you want to help me, you must allow me to help you. Why am I even here as your husband?"

You saw that clearly. Eleanore looks away. "It's not about you."

"Must you be philosophical with me now?" He raises a brow. "Por supuesto, we are discussing you."

Oh, Anton. She covers their clasped hands with her other one, and that gentle touch takes away some of Anton's annoyance. "I needed guidance, after everything the girls and I discussed... Neville asking to meet us so quickly... all of it," Eleanore softly says, "when you saw me leave, I truly just planned and did go to our cabin, tesoro. I went there to pray."

Anton dares not question that. "I see. Then?"

"Then I was led to that tree." Eleanore sadly smiles. "The ceiba tree the first Taíno father planted. Abuela received the promise about her future granddaughter here too... The promise about me, darling, and..." She sighs.  "I don't know what will happen... but I know I was given a direct answer, tesoro. Be a tree planted by the living waters. We must not put our trust in man. We can only trust God."