Chapter 171.2: Burning Point

1519
The Past
Habana, Cuba

Time came to pass, relentlessly, and with it, Padre Bernardino became an important part of the yucayeque. He lived in a separate hut, as poor as Alcaunex and Aunt Atariba would, devoid of any of the gold. Alcaunex watched silently as the two priests share knowledge: Aunt Atariba and the yucayeque's medicines from the plants around them, and Padre Bernardino offers to help with farming, teaching them new methods and lending them implements and books... He brought up the subject of educating the villagers—

But both Princess Caguamay and Don Diego Matías are against it. One thing they agreed on, to which the Cacique could do nothing. "Alcaunex speaking in their tongue is travesty enough!" Princess Caguamay exclaimed one supper time, unable to keep her anger that even Guarina shrinks and flinches as she continues, "Brother, can you not see? Union, for what? They have our partnership in business but that is where they must end!"

The Cacique thoughtfully looks onto his bowl of soup, and Alcaunex meekly tries to refill it for him, but he refuses and meets her mother's furious gaze. "I have truly been taking into consideration what that old shaman of theirs said..." His brows knit, and little Guacabo looks on at his twin sister and both children turn to their father. "Something tells me there is truth I  his words—"

"Oh! Oh!" Princess Caguamay waves a hand, her hair nearly unspooling from the combs. "If Atariba even hears you!"

"No, Caguamay," Cacique Habaguanex seriously says, "both Atariba and I have been in the presence of our gods. Unlike you." At that, the Princess scoffs and Alcaunex feels sorry for her mother, even just a little. In their family, the Princess is the only one who seemingly has no connection to spirits, whatsoever. "This Almighty... He is different. Everything is of Him. Nothing is beyond Him. And I cannot help but think, that no doubt, such a powerful God has an insidious, powerful—rather I say, insistent enemy—-and everything, sister, is not what it seems. I doubt even the Padre is truly aware. No one probably could fathom the battles in the realm beyond... and how we in this mortal realm feel it now."

"You're saying they are right, Uncle?"

Everyone turns to her.

Alcaunex feels her heart thump hard in her chest. "And everything?" Her eyes water. "Our ancestors. Our Mother—" Princess Caguamay presses a hand over her heart too. "Who we are, Uncle? How—" She stops her anger.

And hides her face behind her hands.

"I... Alcaunex." The Cacique calmly begins, that firm, strong hand on her shoulder, grasping it tenderly as if to lend her strength. "We never lose who we are. This land has formed us. We come from her. But I cannot help but think... that the true One would have cared more for our souls and hearts, child, rather than just the rains, the harvests, the pestilence..."

Princess Caguamay presses her palms over her eyes to wipe her tears. "Can you hear yourself?!" She chides. "We work here now, be dutiful to family and land and people, and reap our judgment afterwards!"

"But I am not always good or dutiful. I fail. We fail, Caguamay. We hurt each other. We lie. We do bad things. We have bad desires. We live just for this? Over and over?" The Cacique closes his eyes and glances at his children. "The gods cannot help. Atariba and I already did everything. It is not their place, they said, and it is us who chose this way--to help."

"How do we even know that who they serve is true?"

"They serve One of love. Not anything else." The Cacique straightens up, and Alcaunex could see an almost serene peace on his face that she cannot comprehend. "Gold runs out. Power is not forever. Sister... Our hearts are the most deceitful things, most earthly. It wants what is here, not what is good. It despairs. It tries to control..."