Chapter 186: An Angel of a Wife

The meeting is immediately called off.

Nigel, as Ben had informed them, is in their cabin making it warm with all the lamps lit and preparing dry clothes for them both, reluctantly handing Eleanore a sky-blue gown made of soft tulle. "We will take care of it Captain, don't you worry," Nigel says and pats her back gently. "And it's Uriah who would speak to them. Everyone else is on the edge." Their old friend winces. "Lord Neville is too."

"He is?" Eleanore asks, a bit surprised given how brazen Edmund was not too long ago, and disappears into the privy, leaving Anton to change by their bed. Still, as she wipes herself dry and pulls down the soft, new dress, she hears Nigel explain that the Governor is left rather embarrassed and only sat down once Eleanore left. He refused to speak another word.

"Aggy nearly went for his throat if not for Miss Madeline asking everyone to compose themselves. We were all worried she'd panic and give birth!"

Thank God you're here Maddy. Eleanore emerges with a sigh. Torkin and Poco are both in the basket, shaking to their knees. "Oh, it's alright you two. Papa's no longer angry."

Nigel sadly looks at her. Anton hasn't said a word either, but he is already dressed in a ruby shirt and is tucking it into his trousers. "You alright, Nellie?" The old sailor asks, his stormy eyes so worried. "I can get you tea to make you feel better."

She shakes her head and closes her eyes. "Thank you so much, Nigel. I will be fine."

And she quietly gestures to Anton, whose back is turned to them. Nigel sighs deeply, patting her hands with fatherly tenderness. He slowly but surely herds her farther, near the window where the pets are, and just outside the privy. "Not sailing does this to him too," Nigel explains, "It worsens the curse and its effects. The sea... calms the Captain... somehow."

She gawps. "That's why... when Longbourne... in Nassau..."

"Aye." Nigel stares blankly before him. "Just... do not leave him alone, Nellie..." The old man pleads, his lips trembling. "He used to run away... from me and Mikey."

Eleanore nods. "Do you... hmm..." Nigel urges her to go on with his bushy white brows. She sighs. "Do you know what is happening to him whenever he..." She caresses her knuckles. "The black spot on his hand. It eats him and then goes away. His..."

She stops, for it does not feel quite right talking about him when he is just across the cabin.

However, their old friend quietly nods, himself despondent, thoroughly. Nigel tenderly presses her arm. "There are..." He swallows. "Voices, Nellie."

Her heart pulses so fast she could feel the beats against the skin of her neck. "Jones?"

Nigel shrugs and comes closer. "More or less. He answers it. Tells it to go away. When he needs to be angry, he throws and hits everything, doll..." He sighs. "Locks himself in the cabin. Then he is all well after it." She covers her mute gasp. Nigel nods in understanding. "Why he wasn't so worse when you arrived? He ain't got to be this angry at simple pirates. His past... well... it had done its due course then. The Captain simply accepted it."

Done its due course. Eleanore clutches her stomach. His wife. His city... Everything and everyone, gone from him. Probably his mother too... Her eyes tear up and she quietly looks at Anton, who has been gathering his wet clothes.

"He will lose if he does that. Lock himself away," Nigel softly says, "And Mikey and I... we kept warning him."

You're tired too. Eleanore nods as Nigel sadly glances over his shoulder to Anton. He clearly wants to help, but Anton is quiet and just fixing their bed. Oh, Nigel. How much does he care, when Anton is not even his flesh and blood? "I will take care of him," she promises their old friend. "Please rest too, Nigel. I know... Nassau is a tender concern for you."