Chapter 195.2: Your Life and Mine

Anton takes a deep breath. Doctor Wells is quietly waiting by his door, while Uriah has deposited the wine bottles in a basket and is packing... food... for God knows what, probably the dinner afterward. Perhaps the old man is still drunk. Meanwhile, Aggy and Eugenie are noisily helping Maddy pick a gown. "Never been better, old friend," Anton says, thumbing the hilt of his saber with a sigh. "No more of my stupid fears. I understand now, what you have been trying to tell me." He looks away, overcome. "Our marriage, at the very least, will be under the grace of God."

Nigel tenderly presses his shoulder. "Ay, Tonio..." He smiles sadly. "It is far from the least. I say this is the best way to beat him—giving everything to the Almighty!"

Anton rolls his eyes now. "And am I to call upon all the saints too? It's in my name already."

"Tonio..." Nigel sighs.

"I know. I know, old friend..." Anton shakes his head. "This is just the beginning..." Doubt fills his head once more, but Anton scowls as he chases them all away. No. This is the right thing. The blessed thing.

"It's the beginning of your fight," Nigel simply says to correct his dismal thoughts that can be obviously read on his face, "you have been beaten long enough by this curse, sailing pointlessly around here, going absolutely nowhere at all! Now... you must fight, Antonio. Nellie needs you." He pats Anton's back, like how he had, nearly twenty years ago now, when they first met, and the Captain was just an eighteen year old castaway. "Just know that..." Nigel trembles. "Mikey..."

Anton grips his old friend's shoulder. "Nigel."

"Mikey and I... we've been waiting for this day! This is all we have ever wanted for you, you to smile again... love, again." Those tired blue eyes shine with fresh tears. "Captain."

Love again. His chest aches raw and burning. Anton grasps his mentor's nape and rubs his back too, and they embrace dearly. Nigel holding him so tight, assuring him it will be well after all. He closes his eyes. Twenty years as friends, and yet he had not embraced this old man so much and dear Mikey died with him being aloof at best. "Lo siento, Nigel, for all these years and the times I let you down," Anton softly says, "I will help Nassau and Neville, old friend, for you and your family."

"Think nothing of it, Captain. Thank you too. You and Nellie both." Nigel smiles. "Ach! You have to smile! It's your wedding!"

Anton weakly smiles. "Bueno. As you wish—"

"Well then!" Uriah suddenly booms from behind the galley, carrying two baskets of red and white wine and a sack of food he had packed. "Let us start this wedding, eh! Ah, Del Santo!" The old captain suddenly scowls. "Do not tell me you will wear those rags to your own wedding! The sacrilege!"

He pats his chest. "But I love this coat—"

"Come on! I reckon your bride will appreciate a change in your wardrobe!" Uriah declares rightly, and begins scouting the remaining men to take over the sacks and baskets of food and drinks he had meticulously packed. As Anton watches, and accepts Madeline's greetings, assisting her to the chair, he sees Doctor Wells missing from the doorway.

He turns to Nigel and tells him he will just speak to the doctor, for the carriage is for him and Maddy. Madeline gasps, and Eugenie immediately attends to her. The Captain walks to the quiet cabin... where Doctor Wells is just preparing his bag once more. "You are invited too, Doctor." Anton nods. "As part of the crew."

Doctor Wells stands up and grabs his bag. "It will be my honor, to be there for her." The old man smiles, a warm and genuine one, that Anton fears... the worst possibility is true: Wells is a friend of Admiral Smith. But just as Doctor Wells passes by him, the doctor adds, "And you."