Chapter 199: Conflicts of Interest

August 29, 1720
Present Day
The Queen of Sparta

Drifting in and out of sleep, Eleanore only sits up for the obligatory lunch Anton insists that she eat in order to recoup faster. He does not budge until she took a spoonful, and another. Even Poco squirms at them both. When she cries to be left alone, Anton just sighs in defeat... and instructs Torkin to watch over the food and get her to eat again.

An hour and a half later, she is bathing in her sweat on the covers, but it still does not bother her; the need for rest is stronger than any discomfort. Torkin chirps wildly in the fog of her tired mind, and Poco answers him with a bark. For a moment, she wonders what they could be talking about until sleep reclaims her again... her skin now no longer hot, and the pain from her limbs quieted. She sighs against the pillows.

Whispers wake her next. One is Doctor Wells, the other is Anton. The good doctor explains it could be her woman's disposition, and goes into much detail that her sleepy mind cannot follow. At this, her dear husband quiets, and Doctor Wells immediately offers as well, "It could also be a concern on your end, Captain."

"I was told so, yes," Anton says, and she could just imagine him raising a brow. "And yet, I am not guilty of it now. Although I was... before."

She squirms. Telling Doctor Wells a brief explanation of their intimate relations is so odd... especially if he is Papa's close friend. Even then, this doctor reports to him. The mere thought of her father, her years-long missing father, knowing about this little episode later on prickles her cheeks. This is precisely why she took to resting, to not bother and make a larger problem out of it. But of course he worries, she sighs. Eleanore groans and turns to her side.

Doctor Wells startles by her feet. The old man has been sitting on her bed apparently. "Eleanore, good afternoon," he kindly says, adjusting his spectacles above his hooked nose. "How are you? You are not hot anymore, that's good. Well... I was telling Captain Del Santo here it was not a real fever. We sometimes have these instances when our body's measures to maintain itself simply cannot cope with stresses, oftentimes... stresses all at once. Seeing you were in such a state of elation yesterday after many months of tribulation, the sudden changes might have overwhelmed your nerves and you have become too tense it led to this."

She stares at the old doctor, stunned.

The doctor just shrugs. "Has this ever happened before when you two were together?"

Now her cheeks alone become too hot. How come you are asking me that when I just woke up, I swear! She clutches the blanket and glances at Anton, who is more than compliant and quiet. "Must you know, Doctor?"

Doctor Wells absolutely does not mind that question. "I am afraid yes, young lady. It is your health we are concerned about. I may have a few ideas why this happened and how not to let it happen again." He raises a finger.

Torkin and Poco both squeeze next to her.

Eleanore rolls her eyes at them both but smiles. And Doctor Wells continues, "A woman tends to be warm on her best days to conceive. In truth, you could be already quite warm yesterday, feeling hotter than usual, perhaps?" Both her and Anton raise brows at the very natural philosophical explanation, "Aside from this reality for women, if the excursion—"

Oh, dear me, please no. Eleanore wants to hide her face then and there. This is why I don't go to physicians!

"Ehem, if the said excursion was rather too exciting and... what is that word... ah, too physical, a woman is susceptible to injuries. You shall inspect that." Doctor Wells points that finger to Anton. "She will not be able to see it on her own."