Chapter 177: A Touch of Betrayal

The sun shines brightly at the height of noon in Cuba. However, the blinding glare from the gallery windows nor the heat of the weather are least of Commodore Crenshaw's problems as he faces both the Governor and Miss Smith.

"My lord?" Commodore Crenshaw stares at Lord Neville, and then at Eleanore. "Give clemency to the pirates under Miss Smith's command?"

Behind the grand desk, Lord Neville stares back at him. "As I just said... is it so surprising?"

"No, Sir, well, I mean—"

"Oh, I remain a Captain, Commodore."

Crenshaw straightens up and turns to the calm, soft voice. Indeed, Miss Smith appears to have rolled her lace sleeves out of discomfort, and she has just turned away from inspecting the painting of a port hung on the wall. She nods at him. "My ship and crew are included with me, and with the protection that the Governor extends to me." She turns to Lord Neville. "I would really appreciate it if I'm called by Captain again, Lord Governor, at least in private. This will help remind us all that I am here on official business, not pleasure—" Eleanore smirks. "No matter how hidden said business is in nature."

Commodore Crenshaw smiles. He could definitely see the Admiral in her... and also a breath of fresh air. Something new.

Something like a new morning.

But he dreads what her father has for her too... and what it meant for the whole Navy and Bahamas. A faithful soldier like Admiral Smith, who hates pirates to the very core of his being... Crenshaw cannot even begin to think of it. "Captain," Crenshaw nods. "Welcome back."

He offers her a hand.

Captain Eleanore Smith takes it... and pauses as she feels the folded paper pasted lightly on the Commodore's palm. They share a meaningful look, and Crenshaw hopes he could convey it through his eyes. He isn't quite sure she gets it, but she lowers her gaze.

Then they release their handshake, and deftly, she curls her hand into a fist...

To hide the paper from Neville.

Lord Neville clears his throat. "Captain Smith, very well." He smiles, and Eleanore knows he does not believe that one bit. "I have always believed we men should spare women such tasks because... well.. but I am beside the point. Crenshaw. See to it that Sparta comes to port with us soon. The Captain needs her crew."

"I'll relay this to our fastest men too, my lord." Commodore Crenshaw salutes. He doesn't know what this will bring... but he can only hope everything will be well. "Captain Maynard will be left to your lordship and Lady of Shallott."

"Oh wow." Eleanore's eyes widen. "That's her name? It's a bit... sad..." She asks Neville, and to Crenshaw she inquires, "Does this mean you'll be taking the escort ship?"

Commodore Crenshaw beams but waits for Lord Neville to answer. "Few appreciate our own native myth nowadays. I didn't expect many to catch onto it," Lord Neville says with a nod to her but his eyes on the Commodore, "of course Crenshaw will take the escort ship. I turned down the offer to stay in town... with an excuse I prefer to enjoy my new vessel."

Sir Lancelot's spurned wife. Her name was Lady Elaine... poor fellow Elle. Eleanore swallows hard and smiles to Crenshaw instead. "God bless you."

Commodore Crenshaw nods out of surprise. "Ma'—I mean, Captain. Thank you." He smiles but salutes to Neville. "Please be safe too, my lord, Captain."

Eleanore instinctively feels for her hip. Oh. She shuts her eyes. I need to have a blade made for Mikey's rapier handle.