CHAPTER 45 - THE SELFISH

Start from the beginning

She closed her eyes and reminisced the memory of the yacht where she last saw her.

***

"Why don't you just agree, Carina?" She asked while they were on the yacht's upper deck.

"Because that was insane, Maria!" Carina couldn't stop raising her voice.

"It's not. I will prove that you were wrong. We will make it."

"Please Maria. Stop that nonsense. You'll just put yourself in danger." Carina holds her best friend's hands, trying to convince her.

"Are you saying that 'coz you wanted to be the only one praised by our Senior doctors?" She pulled her hands off. Her voice sounds jealous. She always feels like existing as Carina's shadow.

"W-What? What are you saying, Maria?" Carina creased her forehead.

"You're the number one, the great Carina Alfarez, the best contributor of medicine, blah blah blah! And how about me? Always a failure! Your shadow!"

"We are both successful, Maria. Don't say that!"

"No Carina---"

"Excuse me, doctors. The conference is about to start in five minutes." The crew informed them before leaving.

Maria glared at Carina then rolled her eyes before proceeding to the conference hall. Carina heavily sighed before she followed.

The conference started but an unexpected event occurred in the middle of the meeting of doctors from different countries around the world. The yacht exploded and Maria survived.

She can save Carina but chose to leave her.

***

Dr. Garcia laughed at the memory but her emotion can't lie to her. She seemed so guilty to leave her best friend that she could save. Hot tears fell down her cheeks.

"I'm always jealous every time you're with me so it's okay that you're gone. Haha." She wiped her wet cheeks and tore the photo into half.

+++

"Uncle... Uncle..." Ferran seemed to hear Blair's voice somewhere. "Uncle!"

He immediately opened his eyes and his sight was blurry.

"He's awake!" There he heard Blair's voice again. He felt a headache. F*ck!

Little by little, his eyesight went well and he clearly saw his surroundings.

'I'm in the hospital. Still alive and breathing... I'm so close to death.'

The doctor checked his condition and after a while, he recovered immediately.

"You slept for eight hours, man," Sanchez informed him.

"How are you feeling, uncle? Are you okay?" Blair asked with so much concern but he just nodded. "Mom and dad will be here later. They're just taking care of something important."

"Blair," Ferran hoarsely called his niece. "Would you please go out and buy a cup of coffee for me?"

"But uncle, is it fine for you to drink coffee now?"

"Blair was right. Maybe---" Ferran looked at Sanchez with a meaningful look. He wanted to talk to Sanchez alone. "Yeah. Blair, please buy me a coffee too," Sanchez said.

"Okay." Blair left them in the hospital's private room.

"What happens when I'm asleep?" Ferran asked, feeling a little headache. He sat on the hospital bed and leaned on the head board.

"The plan was a success but," Sanchez glared at him. "You almost gave me a heart attack when you called me at that time."

"I don't have any choice. That's the quickest plan I've made in my entire life."

"F*ck you! I thought you died, man."

"Haha. Same thoughts  but thankfully, the pickup truck saved me." Ferran laughed as if nothing happened earlier.

"You're insane." Sanchez just shook his head and laughed a little. "Before I forgot, good news came after the accident.

"What?"

"There's a cure."

Ferran was not surprised after hearing the good news. He already assumed the outcome because he was a hundred percent sure that Tata Carpio would not let him down.

"As expected, you will not be surprised," Sanchez stated.

"Did you have anything to do with it too?" Ferran didn't say anything and just smirked.

"You're unbelievable."