CHAPTER 24 - THE PUPPY

A lot of cases were finished but no one there is connected to what Ferran should know. While resting from the case he just completed, an idea entered his mind.

"Sanchez," he called for his partner who's reading some reports. "Are you busy?"

"Not really, why?"

"We have somewhere to go. Come on."

"W-What? Where?" Ferran didn't respond.

When he reached his pickup car, they immediately got in and arrived at San Lorenzo University. They parked not so far from the university then got out of the car.

"What---Why are we here?"

"Just follow me, okay?" Sanchez nodded until they reached the back of the school. Ferran entered the forest first while holding his gun and then Sanchez followed while he also held his gun. They carefully feel the surroundings as they step.

"What is this for? Are you going to kill me so you bring me here?" Sanchez asked jokingly as if it was funny.

"Tss. Nonsense." Ferran said while still watching around.

Even in the daylight, it is really dark inside the forest because of the thick leaves and branches of the tree that cover the inside. They don't know how far they have come. They just keep walking until they hear a rustling sound behind the bushes so they immediately hide in the trees near them.

Ferran and Sanchez peeked from where they were hiding and saw a little puppy get out from the bushes. The poor puppy moaned as if it was in pain. Ferran was about to approach the puppy when they heard a gunshot somewhere.

The poor and innocent creature fell on the ground and died.

Both of them got alerted and felt the surroundings. When they made sure that the surroundings were safe, Ferran looked at the poor animal.

He got his tiny flashlight from his pocket and turned it on to check on the dead animal. He saw a red with a mix of purple blood and it seemed to be different than usual.

"Purple..." He mumbled. His hunch was right, he could get some information in this place.

"Ferran," Sanchez got his attention. "I think we need to get back. It smells like danger here." Sanchez is not acting like a coward, he just doesn't feel good around the area.

"No. We need to continue what we're doing. Maybe we can find something important here."

"Something important? There is no importance here, Ferran! We are just putting ourselves in danger!" Sanchez could not stop himself from raising his voice because of so much concern not only for himself but also for Ferran.

"If you don't want to come with me then fine! You can now go back. Leave me alone!" Ferran raised his voice too.

"You know that I can't right? I can't leave you!" Sanchez felt hot tears on the side of his eyes and anytime it would fall off. "Remember? Before you, I had a partner who died because I left him so I don't want to do it again. Not for the second time."

Ferran got silent after hearing one of the unforgettable moments in Sanchez's life as a policeman. Of course, he understands this because he went through that in which Beltran died.

He was so eager to find what needed to be found but he did not even think about the people around him.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to---"

"Forget it. It's okay. I'm getting too emotional again. Let's continue." Sanchez said then started to walk but immediately stopped and he almost let go of his gun when he saw something terrible.

"Holysh*t."

"What are you---Why did you stop---Holysh*t!" Like Sanchez, Ferran stilled when he also looked where Sanchez was looking.

There is a huge pit where the dead bodies of various kinds of animals are gathered but the most numerous are the dogs. The stench of the dead stinks. Ferran took the cellphone out of his pocket and took some pictures of the horrible thing.

They could hardly breathe because of the reek of the dead so they went back to where they had been before and planned to return when they met four hunters. They pointed their guns at them and so did the hunters.

The four animal hunters looked at each other's eyes before putting down their weapons. "Chiefs, are you lost here in the forest?" One of the four asked them.

"Yes. Can you show us the way out here?" Sanchez asked casually.

"No problem." The other one answered. "Follow us."

Two of the hunters are in front of them and the others are in the back. Sanchez moved closer to Ferran and whispered something.

"This is not the way out," Sanchez whispered.

"I know and even if they looked like a hunter, they are not."

"How did you know?"

"I just know."

"It looks like you are talking about something nice, Chiefs. Can you share it with us?" One of the hunters behind them asked in a friendly tone.

"It's nothing important. We're just talking about uhm... About our meal for tonight." Sanchez responded as if he's talking with a friend.

"Hm... it looks like your food will be delicious later. How I wish we had delicious food too." The hunter said but none of the two police replied.

"If they do something strange, I'll take the back, you're in front." Ferran said while they were still walking.

They were right about their suspicion because suddenly those behind them attacked. Thank goodness that Ferran was alert and he kicked up the shotgun pointed behind them so the bullet hit the top of the tree.

The gun made a loud noise so the perched birds flew out of the branches of the tall trees.

"Sanchez duck!" Ferran ordered and Sanchez immediately followed. Another gunshot rang out in the woods and hit one of Sanchez's opponents in the head.

"Sh*t! Why did you hit our ally?" One of the fake hunters angrily shouted at his companion.

"We can't do anything. It happened already." The other said while waving his ax and rushed to Ferran. "All it matters now is to dispatch these two bullcr*ps."

When Ferran and Sanchez stood side by side while fighting three other fake hunters, Ferran whispered something.

"They're stupids," Ferran said, then moved away from Sanchez to give his opponent, who was holding a shotgun, a very strong blow that made the enemy dizzy. The two even managed to laugh in the middle of the fight.

The fake hunter who was holding an ax rushed to Ferran and attacked him but miraculously, Ferran bends backward to avoid his opponent's attack.

As much as possible they will not use their guns unless it is necessary to use it. Sanchez, on the other hand, avoids the knife held by his opponent. Fortunately, he moved away quickly when he tried to stab him with a long knife.

There are only two left in their opponent because one is dead and the other has lost consciousness due to the force of Ferran's blow straight to the opponent's face.

The one in front of Sanchez was holding a long knife and the one in front of Ferran was holding an ax. Sanchez and Ferran turned their backs on each other as they faced their opponents.

At the same time, the opponent rushed to them and the two pulled out their guns from their side and shot the opponent's hand. The enemies screamed because of the pain caused by the bleeding wound in their hands so they let go of their weapons. They also shot the hunter's feet to prevent them from running away.

"We are sure you are not hunters. What is your purpose here in the forest? Why do you want to kill us?" Ferran asked while holding the clothes of one of the hunters but it didn't answer and just glared at him. He was so eager to know the truth. "Tell me!"

Suddenly, another gunshot rang out.

"Ferran!"