CHAPTER 44 - THE TRUCK

Start from the beginning

"Manuel Salas?" Ferran asked the man. "You're Manuel Salas?" The man nodded and faced them.

"What can I do for you?" Manuel asked in a polite way.

"We will just ask you some questions. Is it okay?" Sanchez asked.

"Okay."

"How long have you been working at the Gomez Oil Company?" Ferran started asking.

"Eight years."

"Did you encounter accidents while driving?"

"Lots of accidents."

And they ask him lots of questions.

"Last," Ferran announced. "Can I go with you when you deliver oil to San Mateo?"

"Why?" Manuel confusedly asked.

"I just want to know the works of a driver driving huge trucks." Ferran can't think of a more reasonable excuse.

"Ah... Alright. Well, see you on Thursday then." Manuel tapped Ferran's shoulder then he entered the truck.

"Are you out of your mind!?" Sanchez was so furious about Ferran's impulsive decision.

"Don't worry. Our plans will be successful. Trust me." Ferran said while driving.

"You're risking your life again." Sanchez shook his head. "What kind of lame excuse is that? And what about your mission if you die early?"

"Negative thoughts. Tsk. I won't die, man. Calm down." He tapped Sanchez's left shoulder. "So what's the next plan?"

"Inform our Chief tomorrow about the rally."

After a minute of silence, they heard their stomach make a noise. It was as if they were very hungry. They both laughed and found a restaurant to eat on their way.

+++

"Ferran, you were right. Hundreds of people are rallying here." Sanchez reported through his phone while watching people craving peace and cure for the deadly disease.

"We are on the way. Be ready."

Sanchez immediately put his phone in his pocket after the call ended and drove his car to the boundary between San Lorenzo and San Juan to wait for the tanker truck where Ferran was riding.

Nervousness filled Sanchez's body system. He doesn't know what will be the result of their plan. He inhaled and exhaled a lot of times until he cleared his mind and just focused on their plans.

"This is for the lives of hundreds of people." He gripped the steering wheel of his car. "There is no time to be afraid. Just have faith. Have fate. Everything will be alright." Sanchez made a short prayer and his phone rang.

"We passed the boundary. Follow us immediately." Ferran said.

"Got it."

He was tailing the tanker truck. Ferran didn't end their call so Sanchez heard the conversation between Ferran and the driver, Manuel Salas.

"Excuse me. Can we stop for a while? I'll just have to pee." Ferran asked the driver.

"Alright. Just a moment." The driver tried to step on the brake but it's not working, it made Manuel panicked. "I can't brake! It's not working!"

"What!? Sh*t." Ferran wanted to panic but he calmed himself and thought wisely. "Just drive, Manuel. Just drive.Try not to panic, please." He put the phone on his ears to talk to Sanchez.

"Sanchez, the truck seemed to have a problem. The brake's not working and---"

"What!?"

"Please calm down. I don't want to panic too." Ferran said while his heart was beating so fast. He looked around and thought of a brief plan. He's expecting the worst scenario but not like this.

"We will turn to the diversion road and you need to accompany us. Place yourself on the left side of the truck where the driver seat is." He looked around the area where they were. "The driver will jump on your car so you need to stay close and I will drive the truck---"

"Ferran---"

"Don't interrupt me. We are close to the diversion road so you need to listen carefully. When we reached the open field, I'll jump as well and let go of the tanker truck. Got it?"

"Got it."

Ferran explained to the driver what their plan was and Manuel followed every command he gave.

When the driver jumped off the truck, Ferran sighed in relief, and the only problem he'll face now is to let go of the truck where no one will be in danger.

The truck speeds up for unknown reasons.

Five hundred meters left where the empty field was located and he was about to open the door on his side but it stocked and even the window can't be rolled down.

"Sh*t!"

"Sanchez! Moved away from the truck. Now!" Ferran called his partner through the phone.

"What? But you'll jump---"

"Now, Sanchez! Now!"

He looked around the truck until he saw a steel tube behind his seat. He grabbed it and broke the window.

There was a pickup car full of sacks containing cotton. He rotated the steering wheel to the right and quickly jumped off the window. He fell at the back of the pickup car full of cotton at the right moment.

The tanker produced an enormous and powerful explosion in an empty wide field.

"Damn... that was close." He mumbled, breathing heavily while looking at the blue sky.

The pickup car where he jumped immediately stopped not so far from the tanker truck which exploded a while ago and the driver noticed Ferran lying at the back.

"Hey man! Are you alright?"

"Yes," Ferran answered but a second later...everything went black.

+++

People still rallied in front of the Office of the Mayor but the news made them stop.

["SL News... An infected child is cured and recovered from Lila Virus. He was the first recorded to have survived despite this disease. Doctors have found the key to the epidemic crisis of San Lorenzo."]

The people who were rallying put down their placards and shouted with great joy.

Finally, the calvary of San Lorenzo will be put to an end.