Pinky | Chapter 42

Nick's POV:
I walked into Lex's room late because I couldn't bring myself to see her. I mean I was the reason she was in there. If I had gone a different way, if I had waited a little longer to start driving, anything. I could've prevented this. I let out a sigh as I saw her asleep. Bruises covering her arms and scratches down her legs. Her body looked exhausted. She was carrying my child and I put them in danger. What kind of person does that? It was well past the visiting hours but the nurses let me stay with her overnight. I made sure the blanket was covering her so she was warm before sitting down next to the bed. "I really love you. I'm sorry I waited so long to make you mine. I'm sorry for every time I have hurt you. I truly hope you know how much I need you." I watched her shift in her sleep, the realization that she was not able to hear anything I was saying, slowly making me sick. My hand rested on her stomach as her dreams occupied her mind. "Listen here, peanut. You have to be strong too. Just like your mommy. I can't lose you either. The three of us haven't seen the world together yet." The minutes felt like hours and I felt my eyelids getting heavy. I was nearly asleep when I felt Lex move.
"Nick?"
I popped up and half smiled at her. "I'm here." She opened the blanket and slid over in the bed, making room for me. I laughed at her and took my shoes off, climbing in. "I was looking for you earlier. Where were you?" My fingers found her hair, rubbing her scalp gently. "I was afraid to come see you. I mean I put you here. This is all my fault. I'm supposed to protect you and our baby. I can't even do that —." I was cut off by her fingers covering my mouth. "I'm okay. It's gonna take a little bit more to get rid of me. But let's not test it." She giggled. The sweet sound made my heart melt. I wrapped her in my arms, her back glued to my chest. "You know...They asked if I was your husband. It broke my heart to have to say no...." She looked back at me and laughed. "Can I have your baby first?" I shook my head and kissed her temple. "Nope. I need to get married right now." She held up her pinky and locked it with mine. "There. We're married. I now pronounce us Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Jonas." I kept her pinky locked with mine as I snuggled closer.

"Best. Wedding. Ever."