Can I Ask You a Question? | Chapter 3

It wasn't Nick. He doesn't care that much about who he sits with, right?
I quickly ran to the counter and took a shot of the tequila. There's no way my anxiety is gonna let me get through this dinner.
———-

Nick's POV:
I accidentally just said out loud that Lex was the prettiest girl here. Damn it. I hope no one was paying attention and didn't hear it. It doesn't seem like anyone noticed. Honestly, I've been thinking about settling down lately and every time I date, they just... aren't her. She never paid much attention to me. She was always with Joe. I couldn't bring myself to talk to her back then. She was always so outgoing and I was quieter. I hope she didn't mind my flirting. I think she was flirting back. Probably not. She's never been into me. And I've seen her Instagram recently. She's truly living out the rest of her 20's right now. She doesn't wanna be tied down. Meanwhile, I know what I want. Lex.

"Nick do you want mashed potatoes?" Lex asked, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah. Thanks." I smiled and grabbed the bowl.

"So, Nick, how's dating life? You must have a line of women waiting at your doorstep" Lex's grandpa asked as he winked at me. I noticed Lex reach for her curls. She's nervous. Why?

"Oh.. uhm... no. Actually. I'm looking to settle down soon so no line at my door." I pushed my fork around the plate hoping someone else would soon be in the hot seat. On the bright side, I think I saw Lex smile at my response. Maybe she is into  me after all?

——-
Dinner was soon over and it was time for dessert. My favorite. Pumpkin pie is a necessity. They used to make two. One for me and one for everyone else. I've learned to share since then.

"You can have my slice. I know you love pumpkin pie and it's not my favorite like it is yours." Lex said while sliding her piece onto my plate with a smile. Our hands brushed together and I swear my heart did a cartwheel. I am in trouble. I know what I'll do. I'll just ask her to talk. That's harmless.

"Hey. After dessert, did you wanna maybe skip the games and talk? I've been meaning to catch up with you." Simple. Let's hope she says yes. I can have a conversation with her and just tell her where my head is at. If I know where my head is at by then.

"Yeah. Sure. We can do that."

What did that mean? Did she not want to? Was I too forward? Oh my god. She doesn't wanna catch up with you, Nick.  You're being needy. She probably wants to finish game night.

Lex smiled shortly after, calming my nerves. I smiled back at her and ate both slices of pie, counting the minutes until our conversation. Lex was nice enough to grab our plates and put them in the sink. I let everyone know that we would be sitting out of the next few games but hoped to join back later. This feels good. I finally get to spend some time with Lex. It feels right. I waited for her on the loveseat away from everyone in the living room. Watching her walk towards me was like something out of a movie. If don't snap out of it, I am gonna embarrass myself.

"Hey!" I smiled.

"Hello Mr. Jonas" she giggled. I love that laugh.

"Thanks for spending some time with me. I feel like we don't really talk and I wanted to change that." My eyes lowered to her lips, unable to move. I need to focus.

Lex smiled and nervously looked down at her hands. "Yeah... I guess we don't really have many conversations. This is nice."

I nodded in response to her and told her about my latest music and projects. She seemed interested but I wanted to know about her. I wanted to know about her favorite restaurant. Or how she drinks her coffee. What kind of cereal she eats in the morning. All I have to do is ask. It's simple. Just....ask. Nick? Hello? Nick?

Lex grabbed my shoulder breaking me out of my thoughts. "Nick? Hello? Nick? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I'm sorry. I was just thinking about the questions I wanted to ask you."

"Well before you do that. Can I Ask You a Question?"

There goes my heart doing cartwheels again.

Tell me what you think! This is all new to me ! I hope you like it! Comment, vote, do whatever your heart desires! - Lex ❤️