Let's Get Deep | Chapter 4

Nick's POV:
"Yeah. Of course. Ask me anything." She can't ask me anything too crazy right? It's probably gonna be my favorite vacation spot. Italy. See I've already got the answer. Now I just have to wait
for the question.

"Are you genuinely happy? Like.. are you okay with everything in your life? I know you are portrayed as serious all of the time but ... are you happy?" Lex blinked waiting for my response. I couldn't help but smile. How did this girl seem to know everything and nothing about me at the same time.

I repositioned on the couch so my arm was resting along the top of it and faced her. All of my focus on her. "I'm happy. I love my life. But.. I'm ready to share it with someone. I am serious but I have a fun side too. I'm just ready to mingle the two. Thank you. For asking. No one actually checks up on me like that." I grabbed her hand and squeezed it gently causing her to smile at me. "What about you? Are you happy? Genuinely?"

It took her a while to answer. I almost started to change the topic when I heard her sigh.

"I have my days. I'm getting older. I do want a family but... I think my age group of guys are broken. They don't ... date? They hook up and don't call you the next day. It's a mess so I started my self love journey last year and I've been on it ever since. It's nice."

See. She doesn't want you, Nick. Abort your mission and get out of there. Hello? Why aren't you moving? You're still sitting next to her. Get. Out. Of. There. Come up with something and hurry!

I snapped out of my daze and sat up. "Do you want to join the games back up or keep talking? It's your choice. I know you love game nights." I was on the edge of my seat hoping she'd wanna stay on this couch with me.

Lex looked up and smiled at me shyly. "I'd like to stay here. If that's alright."

Another cartwheel. She's on a damn roll.

I grinned at her and nodded. "Well, if we're staying, let's get deep. And I'm talking real deep."

Lex gulped nervously trying her best to keep a calm face when Nick spoke up again. "What's your favorite cereal?" She laughed and got comfortable on the couch knowing game night was not something she'd be returning to.

"Its fruity pebbles. They're so good. But you have to eat them quick or they get soggy."

———
Lex's POV:

Three hours had passed and Lex and Nick were still in the same spot on the couch away from everyone. They've discussed fears, dreams, favorites, and even the occasional future visit to each others homes. Lex was feeling brave and knew that the opportunity to know Nick like this was rare.

"Let's play a game. We can write questions down and put them in a bowl. If the answer isn't good enough, the person has to drink."

"You watched our documentary didn't you?" Nick smirked.

"So... you don't wanna drink or you do? Because it sounds like you don't." Lex teased at him as she went to grab the supplies.

Nick knew he would get caught up if he drank too much but he couldn't say no to her. All he had to do was give good answers and he'd be fine. No drinking. Or so he thought.

———-

"Nick you have to drink to that! You can't just say that Jealous is the best Nick Jonas song when Introducing Me is a classic" Lex giggled while handing him a shot.

"I know you're lying and just trying to get me to drink. But I'll do it." He downed the shot, his third in a row and was feeling quite lighter. "It's only 8pm and we're both 5 shots in. Was this a good idea?"

"Speak for yourself. I'm 6 in. I took one before dinner because I was nervous to sit next to you." Lex stopped in her tracks immediately regretting her response. Nick turned his head in her direction. "Why were you nervous to sit next to me? You've known me for forever." Nick seemed hurt by the thought that he made her feel uncomfortable.

Lex placed her hands in his and held them tight. "I've known you but now, I know you." She smiled. "We just never really speak when we're together so I was nervous."

Nick placed one of her curls around his finger and placed it behind her ear so nothing was covering her face. The space between them was getting smaller and smaller.

He chuckled and began to speak, the scent of tequila and pumpkin pie filling the air around them. His eyes glued to hers afraid to blink and miss anything she does. "You're....."

Mesmerized and in her own world, Lex managed to muster up two measily little words. "I'm what?" She asked nervously.

"You're breathtaking..."

Nick scanned her face trying to keep the previous moment in his brain as quickly as possible in case Lex decided this conversation was over.

That was a big cartwheel. Now, it was out in the open. He can't take it back. He doesn't even want to. Maybe he came blame it on the shots. That sounds like the best plan.