Strawberry | Chapter 38

Nick's POV:
There's no way I heard that right. Did Lex just say she was pregnant? What do I do? Do I run after her? Give her space?
"You good, bro?" Joe startled me out of my thoughts. "I'm great, actually." He took a sip of his drink and nodded his head. "Where's Lex?" My body filled with sadness. What if she didn't want this? What if she's second guessing us. No wonder she ran. "Hello? Nick? Where's Lex?" I shook my head. "I don't know." The room felt like the walls were caving in and suddenly I could barely think straight. I left Joe and headed for the bathroom to splash some water on my face. I cannot believe this is happening. I'm gonna be a dad? Why are we not celebrating right now? Why are we not together?  I'm spiraling.

Lex's POV:
"Everything alright out here? I saw you rush out here." My bones refused to move. I was frozen in place and I could barely form the words to express myself. "I'm good." A warm hand grazed my back. "You told him?" I nodded. "And how did it go?" I shrugged my shoulders. "I ran out here before I could have a full conversation. What if he doesn't want this?" Kevin laughed and stood in front of me. "He wants this more than anything." I hung my head and sighed. "I should go find him. I owe him an explanation."

I searched the room for Nick, he was nowhere to be found. I wandered the hallway accidentally bumping into him as he walked out of the bathroom. "Oh my gosh. Are you okay?" His hands were on me as if I would break at any moment. "I'm fine. How are you?" He pulled me into an empty room and sat me down. "You don't want this do you?" My eyes widened as I stared at him. "I knew it. I can't force you, Lex. But I want this. I love you. I love what we've created. But it's your body. So it's not my decision." His head fell and I could see the sadness set in. I slid my hand to his cheek and rested my head on his chest. His heartbeat steadied my nerves, giving me the ability to speak up. "I want this." I felt my feet leave the ground and saw the room spinning all in one quick breath. "What did you say?" His smile was the only thing I could focus on. "I said I want this." Our lips crashed together, making it hard to breathe. "Can we tell people?!" I laughed and nodded. "We can tell whoever you want." He walked me back into the party with the biggest grin on his face. As everyone was seated for dinner, he stayed standing, clinking his champagne glass. It was amazing to see him so happy. "Thank you Everyone! I know this party is to celebrate our new album with our closest friends and family but there is another thing I would love to celebrate with you all. Lex and I will be having a baby!" He beamed down at me, love clearly filling his body. He was on a high that was taking over him. The room filled with applause and congratulations. In that moment I knew that this amount of love was all I could ever ask for.

About an hour later, Nick whispered in my ear. "Do you want to leave this party?" I smiled and nodded. "We can. It's up to you. It's your party."
____
The cold sheets against my legs gave me chills. I felt Nick's eyes on me as I pulled the blanket over me. "Tell me everything." He slid in next to me and placed his hand on my stomach. "There isn't much to tell. It's still very new. I went to the doctor and the baby so far is good. I'm still in the first trimester but I'm about 11 weeks." He frowned and grabbed my hand. "I don't want to miss any appointments. Can I come next time?" I kissed him and ran my fingers through his hair. "Of course." He placed his head gently on my stomach and hummed. "Anything else?" I whispered. "I like pickles now.." He gasped. "No way. That's impossible." I laughed and held out my pinky. "I had them on a burger. They're delicious." His pinky locked with mine and he smiled. "Do you have an ultrasound photo?" I shook my head. "I wouldn't get one without you. Next week I go back and we can look together."  "I love you. And our baby." My body felt so warm and full. "We love you too." I sat up and grabbed my phone off of the nightstand. "What are you doing?" I bit my lip. "Guess how big our baby is right now." He sat up excitedly. "How big?"

I waited for a moment. "It's the size of a strawberry."