Braces | Chapter 33

Kevin's POV:
"Kev, who's at the door?" Uh oh.

"Someone here for Lex." Nick ran over to the door. "For Lex? Who are you?"

The guy at the door was visibly getting annoyed and I could tell Nick was too. "Can I just talk to Lex please?"

Nick sighed and walked over to her making her scrunch up her face in confusion.

"Jac?!" She ran and gave him a hug. "What are you doing here?!"

I looked at Nick and his eyes were stuck on Lex. She turned around and smiled. "Guys! This is Jac! He's been on deployment. He's my best friend! Jac, this is my boyfriend Nick and his brother Kevin!" He shook our hand and walked further into the house. Nick smiled. "Welcome to our home, Jac. Lex and I live here together." Subtle Nick.

"Nice home."

"Jac, what are you doing here?" Lex sat next to him at the table.

"NO WAY! JAC!!!!????" Kat ran over to him and gave him a hug. He laughed and hugged her back. "Hey Kat! I missed you guys." They seem really happy he's here. "I am home for a little. I had to see my girls before I head to see your cousin and Nico in a few weeks." I watched Frankie mouth "my girls?" and Nick try to calm him down.

Kat eyed him up and down. "You look so good! It's been so long since we've seen you!" There was definitely some tension around the room now if there wasn't before.

"So Jac, how long were you deployed for?" I'm trying to help here. He looked at me and grabbed the water Lex handed him. "I was deployed for 1 year. Lex wrote me about you guys. The Jonas Brothers right? She used to quiz me on your songs." He laughed and looked at Nick. "You treating Lex good?" Nick fixed his hoodie. "She's happy so I'd say so." I watched him put his arm around her and she smiled. "He's great, Jac. Calm down." Lex is trying to diffuse the situation. This is good. Nick gets heated easily. Jac smiled and wrapped an arm around Kat's shoulder. "Don't worry. I'm just messing with him. I can tell he makes you happy."

Frankie slid around the couch and handed his hand out to Jac. "Nice to meet you, I'm Frankie. Kat's boyfriend." He shook Frankie's hand and nodded at him. "I read that in Kat's letter. Good to meet you."

______

Lex's POV:

"Babe, can I talk to you for a minute in our room?" Nick grabbed my waist and ushered us upstairs. He sat down and looked at me patiently. "What's wrong Lex?"

I paced the floor. "I didn't know Jac was coming. I'm sorry." He stopped me in my tracks and kissed my hands. "Any friend of yours is a friend of mine. It's okay. He's welcome here. Although Frankie might feel otherwise." He laughed and wrapped me in a hug. "Thank you, Nick. You're amazing." He kissed me and shook his head. "I'm amazing because you make me that way."

We headed back down the stairs hand in hand and joined the group. Nick did his best to break the tension. "Jac, wanna come drink with the guys on the patio?" "Yeah, man. Let's go!"

Angela slid next to me. "He's nicer than usual." I smiled and handed her a glass of wine. "We've been communicating better." She rested her head on my shoulder and smiled. "It's nice having everyone back together again." I clinked glasses with her. "It really is. I'm sorry if I caused any issues with you and Joe." She laughed. "You didn't. He was honest with me. We're okay!" I took a sip of my champagne and looked out at the boys on the patio. "I'm going to Nick's parents house for dinner tomorrow." "Are you nervous? First solo dinner as a couple with them." I shrugged. "It's not like I'm new, right? I've known them for years."
______
Nick and I walked into his parents house the next night for dinner. "Mom! We're here!" His mom ran to the door and wrapped him in a big hug. "I missed you so much!" He smiled and hugged her back. "I missed you too mom." She latched onto me next, nearly suffocating me. "There's my favorite girl!" I laughed and hugged her. "Hi Mrs. Jonas!" She looked at me shocked. "Denise. Please." I nodded and slid off my coat. "Where's dad?" She pointed down the hall. "He's in the music room. Join him. He'd love that." I went to follow Nick when I felt a hand pull me gently. She whispered softly, "Come with me instead?" I nodded and followed her into the kitchen. "You grew up to look so much like your mother. I miss her dearly." I tucked a curl behind my ear and smiled. "Thank you. I miss her too." She poured us each a glass of wine. "I cannot believe that Nick finally asked you out. He was talking about it for a while before he did it." I smiled. "Kevin said something similar to me not too long ago." She grabbed a pan of lasagna out of the oven and slid it to me. I placed it on the dining room table and returned to the kitchen. "I can't see him with anyone better. Truly. Have you talked marriage?" "Yeah," I nodded. "A little bit. I'm open to it. But I want him to get through his tour and just enjoy alone time with him." She placed her hand on my shoulder. "That man is ready whenever you are, trust me. You bring out the best in him. Let me show you." She pulled me into the living room and put her finger over her lips. "Quietly go hide." I did as she said and hid behind the couch. "Nick!!! Come here please." I heard his footsteps getting closer. "What's up mom? Where's Lex?"

"She's in the bathroom. Are you feeling confident about you two?"

"More confident than ever. I have never felt this way."

"She said you guys were discussing marriage a little bit?"

"Yeah. I came into this knowing I was ready. I'm on her timeline. The second she's ready, I am too. Actually mom, can you help me with something for her?"

"Of course, honey. Come into the kitchen with me."

I got up off the floor and walked through the hallway straight into Mr. Jonas. "Hi!" He laughed. "Hi Lex. You okay?" I nodded. "Never better. Are you okay?" He directed me into the music room and I sat at the piano. "I'm good. Remember what I taught you over 10 years ago?" I giggled and played the melody to "When You Look Me In The Eyes." "Your moms favorite. You made me teach you for her birthday." I nodded and stared at the black and white keys. "Has Nick taught you anything else?" I shook my head. "Nah. I'm gonna leave the music to him. I never could sing too well." We laughed as Denise and Nick walked into the room. "Dinner is ready. Let's eat!"
______
The only thing heard around the table was forks scraping against plates until Nick spoke up. "Lex and I will have to have you over soon. Return the favor of dinner." I nodded. "As long as you guys have time, absolutely!" Denise grinned happily and took a bite of her food. "Lex, will you be at the family party next month?" I looked at Nick and smiled. "If Nick wants me to be, of course I will." "I'd love to have you on my arm." He kissed my forehead and put his arm on the back of my chair. "Wanna see what my mom found?" I shook my head yes and watch him pull his wallet out. Inside was a photo of Nick and I hugging when we were younger. "She let me keep it." My mouth is full of braces and Nick's hair is long and curly. "I look insane! What year was this?" He stared at it and smiled. "It was 2009. My favorite year. This guy right here had such a crush on you." I laughed at him and kissed his cheek. "I'm sure it was the braces that really drew you in." He smiled at me. "It was 1000% the braces." He took one last look and closed his wallet.
______
Nick's POV:
"I'm so glad we're home."

"Me too, I could not wait to take these boots off. My feet were killing me." I slid my hands to Lex's waist and kissed her. "Well, why don't we get in the shower and then I can give you a massage?"

She nodded and hugged me. "As long as I'm with you."

"This is the same pose as the photo in my wallet. Let's take a picture." I propped my phone up with a timer and we waited for it to count down.

"Aww! It's so cute! No more braces." She sent the photo to herself and made it her phone wallpaper.

I smiled at her. "I had the biggest crush on you then and I have an even bigger crush on you now."