|chapter•thirty•nine|

Gally and Newt running past him was the thing that snapped (M/n) back to the present, and he took a step forward, doing it again and again until he was running after both blond males.

He stopped next to Gally right as Newt was jumping and he looked down at the Box, "Newt, what do you see?" The entire Glade had gathered around, and were curious about what was inside.

He didn't have to wait for Newt to say it to know.

"It's a girl..." Even while he never took his eyes off the girl lying on the metal floor of the Box, (M/n) could still feel how some guys stared at him, noticing them move out of his peripheral vision, but like always, he ignored them, "I think she's dead."

He never, not even once, took his eyes off of her, her relaxed expression and sharp features, her long dark hair, pale and freckled skin... There was something about her. Something felt off, as if he couldn't- shouldn't trust her, as if...

She was the cause of everything that had ever happened.

He couldn't judge her any longer, as her eyes opened with a sharp breath, gasping for air, "Th... Thomas..." Was all she said before passing out again.

"Still think I'm overreacting?"

(M/n) sighed and looked at Gally before looking down at Newt, surprised to find him already staring up at him, "(M/n), can you help me get her out?"

He glanced around and understood why Newt asked him for help, "Alright." Newt nodded and crouched down to lift the girl off the ground.

"Thomas, can you help me?" The greenie nodded and jumped down, they worked together to get the girl up and close enough to the edge of the Box for (M/n) to reach down for her.

"Okay, I got her," he said with his hands under her arms, while Newt and Thomas pushed her up to avoid hurting her with the metal edge of the Box, "Done, she's out."

(M/n) finished pulling her out and held her in his arms, keeping her sitting on the ground while still unconscious, "Let's take her to the med room," Jeff said as he made his way to walk to (M/n) and the girl.

"On it," before anyone could say anything, (M/n) reached his arms under her legs and around her back, and stood up without much struggle, "Lead the way," he muttered and followed after Jeff and Clint inside the Homestead.

///////

After (M/n) thoroughly checked the girl for any injuries -Jeff's bright idea-, he was finally able to walk out and head over to the Builders, who most likely would have work now that a girl arrived in the Glade.

And from far away he spotted Gally talking with other guys, Dan and Hank, who were Runners so it was weird, well not weird exactly, but they usually talked at night or on their days off work, so he was intrigued, to say the least.

"Hey, Gally," he said as he approached.

"Hi, bean," he replied turning to face (M/n), "How's the girl?"

All (M/n) could do was shrug, "She's still unconscious but she doesn't seem to have any injuries on her."

Gally nodded and frowned, before turning to look at both guys standing in front of him, "Oh, right. Hank and Dan quit their job as Runners and now they're Builders," A smile grew on (M/n)'s face. Dan and he had become good acquaintances, as he wasn't around the Glade much with being a Runner, so he was happy to know that he would have time to be able to get to know Dan better than just surface-level friends.

"Well, I'm glad you're working with us now, but... Have you trained them yet?" A smirk showed up on Gally's face, and (M/n) began to feel panic, "No, Gally-."