|chapter•eight|

"Build resistance and strength..." (M/n) mumbled to himself, remembering Minho's words the previous night when he asked about trying to be a Runner, if there was anything he absolutely needed to do, and those were his words, his only advice.

Well, and his running speed, of course.

But for now, he was focusing on the important pieces, there was no point in being faster if he couldn't run for long. And the way to develop his resistance was training with Gally, who was more than eager to toss him around and pose with a victorious grin on his freckled face.

(M/n) definitely didn't mind laying on the dirt if it meant seeing Gally smile.

And there go the weird thoughts again...

He sighed as he made his way out of his treehouse, ready to start the day. This time, Gally and Bark weren't around to greet him, so he made his way to the kitchen, where only Fry and Jim were, busy making breakfast.

"Hello, guys~," he spoke with a fake deeper voice, making both of the chuckle and causing (M/n) to smile at them.

"Hey, greenie."

"Good morning, greenbean."

Both of them greeted him back as he made his way to the coffee bag kept in the cabinet. While he made his hot cup of coffee, he wondered why everyone kept calling him 'greenie' or 'greenbean' when his name was common knowledge by now, but he wasn't complaining, he liked it, and he knew that soon enough, someone else was gonna be wearing the title of 'greenie' in the Glade.

He drank his coffee in complete silence, enjoying the peaceful quietness in the kitchen while Jim and Frypan cooked breakfast, and soon enough, one by one the Gladers started making their appearance.

"(M/n)," Gally's voice caught his attention and he saw the tall blond standing next to him with a sleepy look on his face. He chuckled and handed him his coffee cup, watching how he grabbed it and took a sip, "Ugh, how can you drink this? Is so (sweet/bitter)," his voice and reaction made (M/n) grin, holding back a laugh.

"That woke you up, didn't it?" Gally looked into (M/n)'s (e/c) eyes, a serious expression on his face, his brows furrowed enough to be noticeable, but the happy look on (M/n)'s face made his own falter, a smile pulling his lips up, and both of them chuckled.

"Oh..." Fry muttered to himself, his eyes locked onto the greenbean and Gally, "That's interesting~."

Jim rolled his eyes with a smile as he continued serving everyone their portions of breakfast, "Fry, is rude to stare."

Frypan looked away and continued doing his job, but the playful, knowing smirk didn't leave his face all morning.

//////

With Alby already aware of his Runner training, (M/n) stretched his body as he watched Gally walking away with Newt, apparently he was called to check on something that needed fixing and Dmitri was busy with other things, so he was gonna take this free time to run for a bit, just a few laps around the Glade.

He ignored the looks he got whenever he passed by someone working, and continued on with his jog, only speeding up when he was getting too close to Billy or Peter and Jason as they did their work.

(M/n) didn't know how long he had to be training until Minho said he was somehow ready to go into the Maze, but he was gonna try his best to be ready as soon as possible.

While running, his mind wandered, he was curious about the Maze and anything in it, but he wasn't trying to become a Runner, he just wanted to see how far he could make it out there, and maybe be a backup for any other Runner in case anything happened to them.