|chapter•thirty•eight|

If there was something (M/n) had never seen before, was a Banishment. He knew how it worked and how it was decided, but never how it was done officially.

He had willingly run into the Maze like a little dumb dumb.

And this was... Brutal, to say the least.

He stood next to Chuck as they watched Ben getting Banished, Alby said there was nothing they could do to help him, the serum didn't work and it was the last supply they had so... It had to be done.

"No, wait, Minho-!" Ben cried out as he began entering the Maze, "I can get better! (M/n)! (M/n) tell them! You can help me!" He frowned and looked away, even if he knew how to help Ben back then, he didn't have those memories anymore.

Stuff comes back piece by piece and they're all blurry and mixed, so he really doubted his present self would be able to help Ben with his current situation.

"No!" Ben's scream echoed through the entire Glade sending shivers down everyone's spine. He felt a tug on his shirt and turned.

He hadn't even realized Chuck had walked away from him and now Thomas was in his spot. (M/n) held the greenie's wrist and pulled it away from him, taking a few steps back.

Alby turned to look at everyone when the Doors finally closed for the night, "He belongs to the Maze now," he uttered and began walking away, soon followed by the Keepers and the rest of the Gladers, and well, he did the same.

//////

When night came around a few hours later, (M/n) stood with Gally on the name wall, holding a lit torch to help him see what he was doing.

There was something incredibly heavy about crossing someone's name off the wall... Like it was a fact they were gone forever.

"Are you okay?" He asked Gally quietly, just loud enough for him to hear. Gally glanced at him and his frown deepened, "Ben and you were closed, so..."

He looked at (M/n), his eyes shining under the warm light of the fire, "Yeah... Yeah, I'm okay, bean." He nodded and looked at the wall, where Ben's name was slowly being crossed out.

He really hoped they wouldn't have to cross any more names in the foreseeable future...

Back at the Homestead, in the hammocks, Thomas was keeping an eye out on the name wall, fidgeting nervously with his fingers. "You think he might make it?" He asked Chuck, who was lying on his hammock.

"Ben? No... I don't think he'll have the luck (M/n) did," at that, Thomas frowned and turned to look at the chubby boy, "We just gotta forget about him," with that, Chuck began turning around on his hammock, but Thomas stopped him.

"Wait, wait... (M/n)? What do you mean?" Chuck looked up at him and began fiddling with the wooden figurine in his hands.

"He ran into the Maze... Like a month ago, he spent the night in there..." For a moment, Thomas felt his entire body tense with worry and fear.

"For what? What happened? How... Newt said that no one survives a night in the Maze," Chuck sighed and turned to face Thomas.

He wondered how to explain what had happened, as he wasn't sure he understood it to its full extent, but... He does remember crying all night about (M/n), like all his friends most likely did.

"You know Stan? Peter?" Thomas stopped to think for a moment, trying to put a face to those names, before nodding a couple of times, "They've hated (M/n) since he arrived or so I've heard, and they had plans to get him Banished... Just because he's a little different than us..." Chuck mumbled the last phrase, staring off into the distance where Gally and (M/n) stood by the wall.