Vol.2 Chapter 2.4 - All-Encompassing Love

Ichinose's eyes, widened by the unexpected conclusion of her match, reflected pools of red and gross matter. It was an unsettling sight. Yet, despite the spectacle filling her view, her eyes singled on the foreign entity that invaded along with a sharp crackle that sliced through the air.

Lightning? Could it be Ayanokouji-kun?

Swiftly, her focus shifted towards her companion, but instead of meeting his gaze, she noticed that his eyes were directed to the darkened skies above.

"Wha—"

Rumble!

The heavens split with a brilliant flash and a piercing screech, compelling Ichinose to look upward.

There, a creature, majestic yet formidable, with feathers aglow with electricity, casted its shadow over those below. The Thunderbird, the fastest and most elusive flying soul beast known to man, now revealed itself as the culprit behind the Blazing Demon Lion King's Demise.

Ichinose, still processing the turn of events, suddenly halted the thoughts running through her head and... a hysteric, almost eerie smile flashed on her face.

"Ha—Mmph!"

The smile vanished as quickly as it had appeared, her hand flying to her mouth in an instinctive bid to censor her reaction.

"That was close," she exhaled, a mix of relief and embarrassment coloring her tone. "I nearly showed another unsightly display."

Glancing towards Ayanokouji, she murmured quietly. "I hope he doesn't think I'm some battle-crazy girl."

The onlookers below, stared upon the invader with a spectrum of emotions. The two young soul masters, a blend of curiosity and caution coloring their expressions, viewed the Thunderbird with keen interest. In stark contrast, the remaining three Blazing Demon Lions glared at the culprit behind their king's demise, their gazes seething with hatred and malice. Their roars, venomous and filled with spite, were directed sharply at the interloper.

In this charged moment, the four soul beasts' attention were locked exclusively on one another, the air thickening with tension. The still burning forest was filled with anticipation, that signaled an imminent clash, and the outcome, seemingly inevitable.

Seizing this opportunity, Ayanokouji and Ichinose swiftly moved to join each other's side.

"Quite a situation we have here, huh?" Ichinose was the first to speak up.

"You're not upset?" He asked.

"Upset?"

"That bird interrupted your fight," he clarified. "You seemed really into it, so I figured that you might be upset."

"I-I won't get upset for something like that!" She blurted out, a rush of embarrassment coloring her cheeks.

Ahhh, he saw everything... She inwardly cringed, covering her face with her hands in a futile attempt to vanish. Peeking through her fingers, she hastily added, "Just so you're aware, I'm not usually like that, okay?"

"....."

"Ahem. So, what's the plan here?" she asked and forcibly changed the subject. "Run while we can?"

"No."

Only to be met with a brief response.

Her gaze lingered on Ayanokouji, studying his expression. His focus was locked on the Thunderbird hovering above them, prompting her to glance between him and the soul beast, her gaze ping-ponging until a spark of understanding lit up her eyes.