Vol. 1 Epilogue - Under the Moonlight

"Huff...huff."

This is quite troublesome. I was lucky that he continued to match my strength up until the very end. If not, I don't know if I would have lasted that long with only my martial soul. I really don't want to have to resort to using that, at least not at this moment.

As the sound of the pod's cover unlocking filled the air, the glaring white light from above greeted me with an annoying brilliance. It seems I'm back.

"Finally, you've returned. What took you so lon—"

The moment I emerged from my simulator pod, Chabashira-sensei began to complain but stopped abruptly as soon as she saw my face.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"You're bleeding all over..."

Somewhat surprised by her remark, I traced my face and found blood seeping out of all seven of my orifices. I didn't notice at all.

"What the hell happened?" She demanded.

"I ran into a bit of trouble inside."

I decided to brief her about my encounter with the person from the White Room. This isn't something I need to keep as a secret since she's already privy of my situation, and my protection is something the academy has promised. Moreover, the fact that someone managed to breach the academy's simulation system is a matter that needs serious attention. We wouldn't want a similar situation to occur in the future.

As for my current condition. I guess this was the price I had to pay for using the third phase without possessing a third soul skill. That was the very first time I had attempted using that technique — a false/quasi spirit domain — one that I created to compensate for my lack of soul power. When it comes to domains, their strength and range is determined by the user's spiritual power while it relies on soul power to use and maintain — It requires a substantial initial load, which currently exceeds my soul power capacity, and drains a consistent amount over time.

The quasi domain is a domain that utilizes my soul skills as a foundation — this transfers the burden from me to my soul rings. This, however, makes it highly dependent on the soul rings... Having only two, I had to resort to using raw spiritual power to replace the absent third soul ring, theoretically, this shouldn't be a problem, however it turns out that it wasn't compatible at all with the way things are set-up, thus resulting in a rebound.

"Use this," Chabashira-sensei stopped me from wiping the blood with my uniform and instead handed me her handkerchief. "We don't want you walking around with blood on your clothes."

"Thanks."

"Haah," Chabashira-sensei sighed deeply, her hand resting on her forehead as she gently shook her head. "I take full responsibility for this. I shouldn't have pressured you into entering."

"We didn't know that such a thing would happen, or if it was even possible at all." I told her, but she didn't add anything, instead she simply stared at my face as I wiped away the blood with the handkerchief.

"What?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Nothing," she chuckled softly. "It's just...nothing really fazes you huh. Even after all that had transpired, you still look the same."

"I'm not entirely sure how to respond to that..."

"Hahaha, all I'm saying is that you seem to be doing well. Sigh. Just go back and rest, Ayanokouji. I'll take care of reporting this matter to the headmaster once I've wrapped everything up here... I guess we've become too complacent on our security..." she whispered the last part with a hint of concern.