Vol. 2 Chapter 1.2 - The Pink Flower

As the morning's light gently filtered through the curtains, I stirred from my slumber, gradually awakening to the serene embrace of the high sun. The soft chirping of birds outside my window entered my ears, serving as a pleasant replacement to the mechanical alarm's piercing tone. A soft moan escaped my lips as I stretched beneath the warmth of my covers, savoring the tranquility that enveloped my room.

Opening my eyes to the soft glow of morning, I couldn't help but let out a relieved sigh.

This is one of those rare moments when the dream is not as overbearing as the usual... It's almost peaceful even.

I basked in the ambiance for a few more minutes to relish the rare moment before reluctantly swinging my legs out of bed.

It took me quite a while to ready myself, before finally heading out of my room. I didn't want to hurry since there was no need to. It's not like I have a class to catch up on and I've already told my friends that I won't be available this weekend. Hence, by the time that I went on my way, it was already close to noon.

As I strolled along the familiar route, the gentle wind fluttered my hair, carrying with it the scent of dew-kissed grass and blooming flowers. It was a path that is not commonly traversed by students, in fact it was a path that one wouldn't normally come across unless they actively search for it — a path only I traverse.

It stretched on under the shadows of trees, and soon led me to a familiar cove, nestled beside the serene expanse of the campus lake. The breath of life greeted me as soon as I arrived, and there, little wisps of light danced playfully in the air.

Ahead, a simple wooden boat lay in wait for its passenger, it was an ordinary rowboat that you could find anywhere. As I approached and stepped aboard, the gentle creak of the wood beneath my feet echoed across and disturbed the calm waters.

"Oops."

The sudden rocking caused me to lose my balance, forcing me to unceremoniously sit on the boat's thwart with a thud.

I've done this so many times and I still can't get in properly, sigh...

While it was a rowboat, there were no oars in sight. So, as usual, I channeled my soul power into the boat, and it then began to move. The boat glided smoothly across the surface of the water and as soon as it left the cove, a faint shimmer began to envelop it, forming a thin, transparent veil.

It was a veil meant to keep it and the passenger hidden from view. While it is not really a problem for me if other students were to see me crossing the waters, I would still prefer to not be too conspicuous about it.

After all, students aren't normally allowed to enter this lake.

Far ahead, at the lake's very center, the gigantic tree stood, casting its majestic presence to the entire campus like that of a watchful guardian.

I never imagined a tree could grow to such colossal proportions, its branches reaching towards the heavens as if trying to touch the very sky. The first time I laid eyes on it was many years ago, and I was struck dumb with awe. I remember standing frozen in place, overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of its presence.

From what I've been told, this tree was no different from any other ordinary tree when the academy was first established... I wonder how it grew to the size that we see today... They never told me the reason.

"Hm?"

On the east side of the lake, I caught sight of another boat heading towards the base of the tree just like I am.

"It's Sakagami-sensei..."

Unlike us students who live in dormitories, the teachers' residences are nestled at the tree's base. Several plots of lands were formed surrounding the massive trunk, creating a small archipelago. While there is also a dormitory — the Scholar's Pavilion — at the very center, each instructor is given their own plot of land for them to build their own homes.