Vol. 1 Chapter 4.4 - Slices of Regret

Malus domestica, it is a tough opponent indeed. I don't know how long I've been sitting here but... looking at a certain cylindrical box that has been filled close to the brim of its species, it must have been quite some time now.

"Ah..."

I failed again.

So far, there have only been eight successful attempts. Only two whole remains, so...that's about twelve attempts.

Hm? What am I talking about?

Well, you see, there's a tale that whispers through the ages-a legend of a certain fruit and its connection to the spirit of the rabbit. That fruit is Malus domestica.

An apple in normal human words.

Picking up one of the two remaining apples, I began slicing with precision-my dagger gliding through the flesh.

"You see, in many cultures, rabbits symbolize fertility, rebirth, and playfulness. They embody a spirit of vitality and rejuvenation."

With each slice, I carefully peeled away the skin, shaping the fruit to resemble the endearing form of rabbit ears. I moved my hands with grace and purpose, crafting each delicate ear as though the very essence of the rabbit was manifesting within the apple.

"The act of creating rabbit ears from this apple...is a celebration of life's enduring cycles, the beauty of transformation, and the reminder that joy can be found in the simplest of things."

Pausing for a moment, I fixed my gaze on the rabbit-eared apple. "It's a gesture that invites whimsy and playfulness into our lives-a reminder to embrace the childlike wonder within us...to see the world through eyes unburdened by the weight of responsibilities."

"But why an apple, do you ask? Well, let's start first with... what is an apple?"

"..."

"An apple is predominantly composed of water, making around 85% of its weight. However, it is the remaining 15% that truly captivates."

Finishing my final swipe of the dagger, I lifted the slice at eye level and observed its intricacies. An angle of 60 degrees and a length of 4 centimeters from the base to the tip of the ear. A distance of 4 centimeters between each ear from a V-cut with a perfect 45-degree angle. The edges are clean and curvature of the peeled surface strictly follow the golden ratio.

This one is perfect.

Placing it among the other finished pieces, now it is nine. I then picked up the leftover apple and began slicing again.

"You see, within its composition, we find an array of macronutrients and micronutrients, each contributing to our wellbeing... The apple is a rich source of dietary fiber, providing roughage that aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut. Its soluble fiber, known as pectin, not only helps regulate cholesterol levels but also creates a feeling of satiety, making it an ideal snack for those watching their weight."

"💢"

I paused and raised my head, my gaze away from the apple slice in my hand and focused on what's in front of me, amused. After a few moments, I went back and continued on my craft.

"In terms of vitamins, the apple is a treasure trove. It contains a variety, including vitamin C, which boosts the immune system and promotes collagen synthesis, enhancing skin health and wound healing... It also harbors small amounts of vitamin A, E, and K, each contributing to different aspects of our overall well-being."

Hmm, this one's no good.

I discarded the slice, dumped it with the rest of the defectives and grabbed a new one.