Vol 1. Chapter 3.4 - Burned Alive

30th of April, 10:46 AM, Soul World

Light flashed and suddenly I was greeted by an unfamiliar landscape — it was a valley. Two steep mountains enclosed the space — so steep you could almost call it a wall. We were currently on a platform halfway up the mountain, and as far as the eye could see, only odd rocky terrains could be observed, including the bottom of the valley.

From where I'm currently standing, you could see its full view. This valley was very broad, and the interior was a hilly area. There wasn't any vegetation, and everywhere looked bare.

I could see my classmates looking around like I do. Some of them had even already formed groups, like Hirata's and Kushida's groups. Meeting Kushida's gaze, she smiled and gave me a wave, in which I hesitantly responded.

Suddenly a loud voice echoed seemingly coming from all directions. "This is where the practical test will be held," it was Chabashira-sensei, "The objective for this test will be to survive. There are some soul beasts living in this valley, and they are quite aggressive. The longer you survive, the higher your score will be. If you can kill a soul beast, you will also get a point. Different soul beasts will give you a different number of points. If you are killed by a soul beast, your test will end and your final score will be calculated."

Survive?

Is this the same as the one we took for our entrance exam? Prior to entering here, we would have to take an entrance exam — a written and a practical one. The practical exam that we took is exactly like this — a survival test. The others seemed to have thought the same as none of them gave a huge reaction.

"Yo, Ayanokouji!" called out Sudou, who is now approaching me with two others, Ike Kanji and Yamauchi Haruki.

"Let's team up. Since this test involves fighting soul beasts, it should be easier if we were to fight in groups," said Sudou, seemingly excited. It appears that his motivation has risen now that fighting is involved.

In the past several weeks, I have gotten quite close with Sudou. Sometimes inviting me to eat, play, or hang out. Though it was only a few times as I had other things to do, it was still nice to have someone who wants you around. Of course, Ike and Yamauchi were also there, but I haven't really gotten that close to them that much.

...How do I say this... it's like the two of them are speaking a different language. Our thought processes are just so different that I don't really understand most of what they intend to convey.

Regardless, as I see no harm in teaming up, I nodded and joined Sudou's group.

Chabashira-sensei, hearing no other inquiries from the students, then continued. "Well then, that will be all. Let us begin." As soon as she ended her sentence a thunderous roar suddenly resounded.

This took all of us in surprise and prompted us to instinctively look in the direction of the sound at the same time. It came from the depths of the valley, and from there, we saw a cloud of smoke.

"Let's be alert everyone," shouted Hirata. "Right now, it is important to work together to survive as long as possible."

Some quickly looked for a rock to hide behind, and squatted down, trying their best to conceal themselves. Others... well, Sudou especially just stood still and anticipated the upcoming encounter.

Roar—!

Another roar bellowed across the sky, the deafening anger resonating throughout the valley for a long, uninterrupted time.

Boom. Boom. Boom.

Deep and low tremors sounded out from within. Sounds of falling fragmented rocks and debris followed soon after.