Vol. 1 Chapter 5.1 - Memories

"Sigh, let's go back. If anyone saw us out here, they'd probably get ideas."

Her words rang true. It wouldn't take long for rumors to spread about a boy and a girl spending time together in the darkness. She got up slowly and walked towards the dorm; I followed right after.

"I won the bet Ayanokouji-kun, so now you are going to follow my orders, whether you like it or not. Understood?" she said with a smirk on her face. Looks like the usual Horikita is back.

"I get it, I get it. You don't need to remind me."

"I will reach Class A and enter the inner court. To do that, gaining points is necessary." She stopped as soon as we neared the elevator.

"We would have to avoid losing points first," I told her.

"I've seen Hirata-kun making his own efforts regarding that, I don't need to dirty myself with getting close to those defects. He can handle those himself."

"Hirata is just one person, and with how divided the class is, he won't be able to do it by himself."

"Then are you willing to help him, Ayanokouji-kun?"

"Err..."

"I could order you if you want, I have that privilege after all," she smirked again, she is liking her power over me a bit too much.

"Please don't"

"Hmph, I thought so, whether you want to do something about it or not, I'll leave it up to you... Frankly, I couldn't care less, many of them had also failed a simple written test, and I've seen how they've performed in the practical exam. If they fail, that would only mean I have less people dragging me down and less people fighting over the limited slots"

"...Wouldn't that only hurt your chances though, Horikita?"

"And how would that be?"

"Think about it, we don't know much about how the points system works, what deductions they would give us. What if they're expulsions would incur us severe losses that cannot be recovered, that would end up hurting us in the long run."

"You don't know if that is indeed the case."

"Exactly, we know nothing, that is why we must be cautious in our decisions. Regardless, having fewer students would also mean less points for us to gain in the Battle Station. The less there are of us, the harder it will be to reach the threshold."

She set her gaze down, pondering for a bit. Whatever Horikita's thoughts on the matter is, she should be aware that reaching class A on her own is an impossible task.

"...I have no intention of picking up their slack if they don't produce the results I want. Even if there are negatives, I still think it's better for the future of our class to abandon the weaker students... However, there is one thing I want you to do, Ayanokouji-kun."

"And that is?"

"For the time being, I want you to gather information about our classmates, their names, martial souls, and ranks, all of it."

...I could see where she was going with this. While it makes sense that Horikita doesn't know anything about them at all, I would prefer if she would be a bit more creative with her orders. As for the information, I already have most of it, however...

"I can do that, but that would take time."

"Please accomplish it as soon as possible, Ayanokouji-kun, we don't have much time. If my theory is correct, then the Battle Station will have a heavier penalty if we fail to reach the required points. To do that we would have to allocate our resources properly. The battle station allows for groups to participate, I had inquired about this yesterday. Fortunately, groups formed from a single class will get corresponding points per win according to the number of people. However, the total number of matches that will be counted will be reduced."