Vol. 1 Chapter 3.3 - The current status

'VICTORY!!'

A hologram materialized above the arena similar to the countdown from earlier... But I didn't pay it any mind. The next moment, another transparent screen popped out in front of me, asking me whether to return to the Soul World or to find another match.

This is convenient, I thought. With this, I won't have to return to the counter if ever I wanted consecutive matches.

I didn't hesitate to press the 'Find Match' button, after waiting for a few moments, a similar sensation from before happened again, indicating that an opponent has been found... The place didn't really change, but I now found myself back to my position at the edge, just like how I started in the previous one.

The countdown began... Observing my opponent, it was another man with a fairly bulky build.

Let's just hope that I would actually get to fight this time.

The countdown finished, and my opponent unleashed two yellow soul rings. Large shields of about one and a half meters in length appeared on each of his arms. Unlike my previous opponent, he didn't make a move and simply held his ground.

Ironclad Bulwark, that is the name of that Martial Soul. It specializes in defense and protection, but also really strong in individual combat - a perfect opponent.

Two purple soul rings manifested around me, and a faint silver flash appeared from my storage ring - placing a dagger on my right hand. This is a dagger that I forged using Heavy Iron. It's far from perfect, but I at least used a thousand-refined metal for it which more than enough makes up for its lack of quality.

Shock could be observed from my opponent face, he seemed to be caught off guard at the sight of my soul rings... Well, I couldn't blame him, it is after all unusual to see high level soul rings around our rank. Though I had to say, that is not the case in this academy... I could feel the same level from Kouenji, Horikita, Kushida, and some other students. I'm sure that they have a similar soul ring composition as mine.

Still seeing no movement from my opponent, I decided to make the first move.

Lightning coursed through my body as I lunged forward, and in a flash, I closed the distance, taking him by surprise. Thrusting my dagger towards him, I aimed for a precise strike towards his vitals.

...I wonder when it was, it must have already been about eight years... since the last time I was allowed to hold a weapon. It wasn't a short one like this dagger, and was only for a brief period... But everything I've experienced in that time, everything I've seen... All of it was ingrained in the depths of my memory.

Clang!!

The resounding impact of my dagger hitting the hard surface of the shield reverberated throughout the arena. He has good reflexes. Despite getting caught off guard, he still managed to react and swiftly raised his right shield to defend himself from my strike.

Suffering from the rebound, Lightning crackled with ferocious intensity as I swiftly pivoted, circling around to exploit his vulnerable back. He must have anticipated this attack as it didn't take him a second to sweep his shield across an arc, slicing through the air. But that was a feint, and he fell for it.

"Wha—"

He uttered in surprise, as his strike hit nothing but air - merely an afterimage. With his defenses momentarily lowered, I seized the opportunity. Without hesitation, I unleashed a rapid flurry of stabs, each punctuated by a swift, piercing sound.

"Aaarrghhh!" he cried out in pain, forcing him to take several steps back before relying on his shields for support. This time, I intentionally avoided targeting his vital points... I would prefer not ending this too soon.