Vol. 1 Chapter 1.3 - Names and Martial Souls

"Hey hey, let's go shopping! Let's head to that huge mall they told us about!" one girl cried.

"Let's go do karaoke!" said another.

"I can finally buy that soul tool. I heard it's supposed to be amazing."

"With this much, we can buy anything, I'm so glad I got into this school!"

As the classroom got louder and louder, I finally realized that the teacher had already left. So that is why these new rich kids became such a rowdy crowd.

"Everyone, can I please have your attention for a moment?"

It was that upstanding student from earlier. A hush fell over the room. His confidence and initiative were commendable, and I could tell that many of the students were impressed by his eagerness to break the ice.

"Starting today, we're all going to be classmates. Therefore, I think it'd be good for us to introduce ourselves and become friends as soon as possible. What do you say?"

I watched as the students exchanged hesitant glances, unsure of how to respond. But soon enough, one of them spoke up, voicing their support for the idea. "I think that's a great idea," they said, prompting a chorus of agreement from the others.

"Great! Since it was my proposal, I'll introduce myself first," he said. "My name's Hirata Yousuke. You're free to call me by my first name! I guess my hobby is mecha designing. I am a rank 33 Soul Elder, and my Martial Soul is a Mist blade. I am also a rank 3 designer so feel free to ask me if you have some tools you want to be designed. Nice to meet you!"

As Hirata introduced himself, I couldn't help but be impressed by his confidence and charisma. He had effortlessly captured the attention of the class and left a lasting impression on everyone, including myself. In fact, I could already see several girls having hearts in their eyes!

A soul elder — a title for soul masters at the rank 30s — and a level 3 mecha designer. A designer is one of the professions required for making a mecha or battle armor — a unique specialized Soul master garment. There are three of them in total: A designer, a manufacturer or maker, and a mechanic. There is another profession, but it is considered to be external and is the most necessary- blacksmithing. I perceived that others are seemingly impressed by his cultivation level...so rank 33 is considered high for our age...

...I wonder if someone like Hirata is capable of leading this class to graduation.

"Well then, I'd like everyone to please introduce themselves, starting from the front. Is that okay?"

The girl at the foremost front nearest to the door looked like a deer caught in the headlights, her body stiffening to the sudden, unexpected pressure. She hesitated for a moment, but then quickly made up her mind and stood up.

She bit her lower lip, trying to contain the tremble in her voice. But as she tried to speak, her throat tightened, and her words came out in a sudden, sharp burst of sound, much louder than she intended.

"I-I'm...M-my name is...Inogashira Ko-Ko...Inogashira Kokoro!" she exclaimed. Inogashira Kokoro's face flushed red, betraying her nervousness. She quickly realized her mistake and clasped her hands over her mouth, mortified by her outburst.

"It's fine!"

"Don't worry about it!"

Kind words poured out of our classmates. But it seemed to have the opposite effect on the girl. Her face flushed an even deeper shade of red. I could her some girls started giggling which probably added more to her anxiety.

She had said her name, so I assumed her introduction was over, but it seems like she has no intention of sitting back down. Does she still have more to say? Possibly trying to follow the format that Hirata had initiated? Or perhaps she is just so paralyzed with fear that she couldn't move a muscle... In any case she's been standing there for seconds now. At that moment, another girl spoke up.