Chapter 56

Rose glanced at Ethan. He was out, which wasn't surprising. He'd started to grow very tired over dinner, yawning quite a bit. She knew how werewolf healing could make someone tired, and Ethan had done a lot of healing over the last twenty-four hours. She'd been surprised he'd woken up as soon as he had. She'd figured he'd sleep much longer.

Her gaze darted back to the window, watching for the two werewolves that were coming to get him. She pulled out her phone and made a quick call, stepping outside so she wouldn't disturb her guest.

"Dr. Rose, how are you? We haven't spoken in a while," said the voice on the other end.

"Alpha Blake. Still alive and kickin, how are you?"

"Fair to middlin. What can I do for you?"

"Do you know an Ethan Remington?"

The line grew silent, making her frown. "Why?"

"He's here with me. Wandered in a few days ago in terrible shape. Someone tried to kill him," she said.

"You're where the Alpha's going," Blake said.

"You know about this?" Her eyebrows raised in surprise.

"Yeah. He flew his plane into our air strip not long ago and told me he was there to pick up his son. He didn't say much else," Blake said.

"And you didn't question him?" Rose felt annoyed. She knew Blake was the leader of his pack. Why would he let another Alpha come on to his territory and not ask questions?

"I can't question him, Rose," Blake said.

"Why not?"

"He's the King," Blake replied.

She grew quiet for a moment. They had a King? "There's a King?"

"Yeah. The Alpha King. He's the one who rules over us all. His pack upholds the law and keeps the peace in our world," he said.

"Do I need to be concerned that he's coming to my house?" She had a King about to show up at her house to collect his son. Which meant Ethan was a Prince. She was glad he hadn't died.

"No, not unless you were involved with whatever happened to his son. And if you were, he'll know. Not that I think you were, Rose. You're too kind hearted for that," Blake said.

She cursed.

"Rose, he's actually a pretty nice guy. Not what you're expecting. You're probably going to like him," Blake reassured her.

"Well, what a revoltin development this is," she muttered, and spotted a vehicle pulling up. She watched two men get out and they both met around the vehicle. It wasn't difficult to tell which one was his father. "He doesn't look old enough to be Ethan's father."

"He's much older than he looks. He's been King longer than I've been alive," Blake told her. "Have fun."

She frowned as the call disconnected, her eyes still on the two men standing in her yard. They both were wearing jeans and T-shirts and she realized that if Blake hadn't told her one of them was a King, she would have never known.

They were both drop dead gorgeous, and she couldn't help but admire them. The one was blond, with startling blue eyes and a beard, while the other had brown hair and blue eyes. He was the one that she knew was Ethan's father. The resemblance was uncanny.

They both approached the porch and Ethan's father smiled. "Dr. Rose? I'm Daniel, Ethan's father."

He didn't bother with any title, which really surprised her. These werewolves were all about titles. "Ethan's in the house. He just fell back asleep right after he got off the phone with you. He's been healed for less than twenty-four hours."